Advice needed 640-802

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by whosane, Nov 23, 2011.

1. whosane

whosane New Member

Hi all,

This is my second post ever,on this forum that is ( or maybe ever loool). I need your genuine advice on if i should be sitting my exam on the 19-20th of dec. I'm only asking this as I've not even started on the reading material yet,and wanting to use brain dumps ( yea i know its the cardinal sin, but the procrastinator in me loved the idea), i've come to my senses. So the ques is that is it feasible to sit the exam in that time frame and what type of hours will i have to put in.

I've done all the topics before, and gone through all the major practical aspect of the exams. So have got grasp of the rip,igrp, eigrp,vtp natting, trunking, acl etc. But i'm skeptical about the finer details.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Cheers

2. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

If you are having to ask then you probably already know the answer - if you havent read the book or even done a practice test / the DO I KNOW THIS ALREADY tests in the CP books then you you will miss the details required to pass! IMO

Braindumps are effectivily cheating and will take away the the satisfaction of passing the exam by reading and fully understanding the technologies involved.

Braindumps are the reason for PAPER CCNA's/CCNP's MCSE's/MCITP's etc! they pass the exam using skills trains and brain dumps but ultimately flood the market without knowing what they are doing which lowers the worth of the certifications for everyone! :mad

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I'm glad you said it, I wrote a long winded flame post then deleted it and moved on to someone worth my time :p

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I may be missing something, but didn't the OP mention 'thinking of using braindumps' (stupid...) and then '...coming to his senses...' (good...) before asking the question whether anyone on here had an opinion as to his chosen exam date (19/20 Dec) was giving himself enough time to cover the course syllabus effectively?

Only IMHO, I can't then see the point of 'flaming' him if that's the case...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

I wasnt too sure because he used big words i dont understand! :lol:

i think he said he come to his senses but just thought i would put that in for anyone who comes to the post and goes... "ooooo what are braindumps, they sound good!" and the fact the company i just worked for just filled a job i could have done with a BRAINDUMP "GENIUS"! So i am still a little bitter at the moment! :x if you ask me, the guy they employed dumped his brain on the floor and then lost it!!!!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
  6. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Here's why...

He booked the exam, knows the topics...Why does he need to braindump?

He said he knew the topics, just needed more detail - surely he knows whether he is ready or not. He owns the book but hasn't been read. glancing at the topics/chapters would give him an indication.

Admitting it, willing to accept a paper cert just to add the letters to the CV.

Doesn't put anything towards the forums and community until he/she needs it.

Yeah, I don't think I personally can help anyone like you.

Maybe I'm just in a pissed off mood, but some people really just have to be told it as it is.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
    jonny7_2002 likes this.
  7. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

So to summarise -
    Whosane, if you have a recollection of the topics from previous attempts/experience then SCAN the book over and do some practice exams from boson or some other reputable provider and see how you get on. if you score high then you will be in with a bigger chance of passing but if you score low then you will be in with less chance of passing!

My personal take on the exams is - i always like to learn more than i have to so i know i have a firm understanding of the technologies/concepts. At this point you are in with even more of a chance to pass the exam but at the same time, you can walk away with the pass certificate with your head held high knowing that you passed it on merit and not just by fluke. and to be honest i used this approach on the CCNP route exam and I STILL FAILED first time so even this is not guarenteed!

So, in brief, go and read the book cover to cover, build labs (Physical/GNS/Packet Tracer) take practice tests and see how you get on and if you can get all of that done by the 19/20th december then you may be in with a shot to pass!

Also if you have not booked your exam yet and are based in the UK im not sure that pearson testing centres are open for two weeks over xmas! i booked mine (CCNP Tshoot) for the 14th of december and the testing centre was closed for the fiollowing two weeks.

Dont forget, if you book the exam you can also move it to another date if required so if you are not quite ready nearer the time then you can change it 24 hours in advance!

Jon

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I believe this has changed recently.
    IIRC it's a week now.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. whosane

whosane New Member

Thanks a lot johnny really appreciate your advice.

And in regards to a practice exam or boson exam, is it right of me to guess that they will be quite close to the material but not an actual exam?

And I dunno what i've done to boffy but hope its not personal.

10. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

No Problem.

As with all practise exams, they are not the 'real thing'. One of the Boson guys might be better placed to answer this.
    A friend of mine will study and the day or two before the exam he uses the braindumps as a test, as an indicator as to whether he is ready.... this is how he justifies it anyway but i personally do not like the braindumps as stated above!

TBH I would say it is because you havent really contributed to the forum untill you wanted something. Im sure if you put a little input on some of the threads where you can then this will stop some of the harsh comments floating your way. :biggrin

Good luck with the exam in the future, whatever you decide to do.

Jon

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  11. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  12. whosane

whosane New Member

thanks a lot again guys.

And i'll try to contribute more to the forum.