Advice, get certification or just focus on learning and forget about certs?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ok so I've worked in IT for a grand total of 4(ish) months, I work on a support desk dealing with mainly Windows issues, network troubleshooting, the usual first-line stuff really. I admit I'm not fully competent as I didn't know much about computers until I joined certforums and got talking to you guys who pointed me in the right direction. I have learned so much from this job already I actually get experienced techs asking me for help...which is strange as I often find they may know really advanced stuff but some basic things that even I know they don't have a clue... but saying that I still require ALOT more learning.

I feel like I want to progress into something else in a year or so, I'm not looking to so much to move up the ranks but more to get a better support job that pays more and deals with a wider variety of issues. I don't know which way to turn really, do I prepare for this by taking a back-seat on certification and actually just focus on learning more, aswel as improving in my current role? or should I be aiming to get more certs which will help my CV get more noticed by future employers? I feel there is a difference between learning for the purpose of learning, and learning to pass an exam. I am currently just watching videos on various things, I plan to get to grips with Mac OS pretty soon and have already planned out my learning videos, I am also reading the new A+ book, not for the actual exam but for the knowledge..Not sure what to do for the best, am I wasting my time learning all these things if I am not aiming to get a certified? I am the only person in my family who works so I bring in all the money, so its important I'm constantly improving but just not sure what I should be doing and would love to get some advice on this one.

Thanks guys!

2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

As you are still new in to your IT career, I think you should focus on gaining as much exposure to as many things as possible. This will allow two things:

1. Gain experience in many aspects of IT
    2. Allow you to find a niche that you find interesting and want to develop further in

Once you've found your niche, run with it and see what certifications are available.

Experience and Qualifications go hand-in-hand. In my view, qualifications aren't worth a lot without real-world experience. Conversely, some companies won't even entertain the idea unless you have X and X.

A+ and Network+ will certainly give you a good foundation to work from.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+