Advice for an MCP Noob

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by rtmessiah, Oct 16, 2007.

1. rtmessiah

rtmessiah New Member

First question, do I really want to become the bad guy from Tron?

Now that I have got that out of the way, I'd like to ask for some advice. I am trying to orchestrate a change of career and would like to work in IT, possibly in support\administration.

I have no professional IT experience, though the first couple of years of my degree included all the courses from Applied Computing (which boils down to a bit of software development in c\c++ and IT 'transferable skills' (MS apps, HTML, VB e.t.c e.t.c).

I have only just stumbled on the whole MS certification thing tonight so clearly I have a lot of reading to do!

The main thing that has stopped me in my tracks is the cost of the training.

I was having a look at the requirements for MCDST (something I might consider doing) and this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/requirements.mspx

lists the following:

Exam 70-271: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System

Course 2261: Supporting Users Running Microsoft Windows XP Desktop Operating Systems (three days)

Course 2261: Supporting Users Running the Microsoft Windows XP Operating System (12 hours)*

MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-271): Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System, Second Edition

Exam 70-272: Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System

Course 2262: Supporting Users Running Applications on Microsoft Windows XP (two days)

Course 2262: Supporting Users Running Applications on the Microsoft Windows XP Operating System (12 hours)*

MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-272): Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on Microsoft Windows XP, Second Edition

The cost of the tests I can deal with but I looked up some local training centers and they listed the cost of the courses starting from £800, which I could literally never afford (I barely earn that much in a month!).

So my question is this: I know that the training is listed on MS's page, but if you can complete the test without taking the course (assuming proper self-study) can you still attain your certification? Basically I am wondering if taking the course is a requirement for certification?

Very noobish question I know!

many thanks,

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Taking the course and getting the certification are two different things. For most certifications, you don't have to take an official course. That's why most of us here recommend ditching the expensive courses and using self-study methods to get the certification. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As Michael says there is no need for a course you can do it self study

BTW welcome :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Its abit late for me know because i have signed up to Advent for my course now. But how would you know what topics to revise? Where to take the exams, etc etc?

I mean i could always do a future course this way instead of paying!

Regards

JE

Certifications: A+, N+
  5. BosonMichael

Oops.

Good Lord, man, what are you paying Advent for? Aren't they teaching you what topics to revise and where to take the exams? :blink

Highly recommended.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. greenbrucelee

look on the microsoft website at whatever MCP you doing or in case of A+ etc its compTIA you book your exams through either a pearsonVue or prometric center some links below.

http://www.vue.com/

http://www.prometric.com/default.htm

http://certification.comptia.org/

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.mspx

7. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Yeah they told me what to revise and where to take my exams, but this isnt the same for every module id need to become MCSE qualified.

I intended the question as if i didnt know, and wasnt with a provider - where would i begin?

Would the internet be the resource? Then once covered enter for an exam?

8. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

9. rtmessiah

rtmessiah New Member

Thanks for the fast reply.

Also hooray for the answer, its what I was hoping to hear!

Fast-track to success here I come! :D

I'll have to do a lot more reading up on all the ins and outs, but I expect I'll stick around. I'm sure I'll have more questions\comments for y'all in the future.

thanks again,

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

huh? Where is this fast-track everyone keeps talking about? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. greenbrucelee

if you look on the microsoft web site there the MS press book for MS stuff as for the A+ get the compTIA A+ All in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Myeres also get a book called PC Technician street smarts by james pyles (he is a member on here under the name Tripwire45) he know his stuff and I can't reccomend his book enough.

12. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Ill be sure to take a look! Shame im already signed up to a provider, but its too late to think about that now...

Really appreciate your help, ive gone from being in a state of limbo, not quite sure to what the score is to feeling like i understand what i am actually doing now.

Well i know the next cert i do i am not paying for! although that will be after the hole MCSE course...

Regards

JE

13. BosonMichael

GBL provided some excellent links. That answer's also been covered on this forum - earlier today, in fact! :)

Every module can be taken at Prometric centers, whether Microsoft or CompTIA. Cisco and CompTIA exams can be taken at VUE centers.

Objectives for every exam can be found on the vendor's Web sites. Once you've got the concepts down, schedule the exam and pass it. It's as simple as that!

That said, I am not sure what restrictions Advent has... whether they reimburse for exams, pay for them, require that you take them at their testing centers, etc. You should ask them what they require.

14. BosonMichael

There's no fast track to success... there's the standard track to success. It's just that some people decide to get off the right track. :p

15. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

hey mate, self study is how i managed to gain all my certs, if you have the time and motivation their is no reason for it not to work out for you.

good luck

(and asking questions in this forums ALWAYS helps)

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE