Advice about the A+ course please

Discussion in 'A+' started by leelee, Jan 14, 2008.

1. leelee

leelee New Member

Hi I'm a newbie,

I'm trying to find out the best way to do the A+ course, either college, home study etc. I am dyslexsic and have trouble spelling but my reading is good. I nearly got ripped off by a salesman from the Home Learning college but I've managed to stop it. Any help would be very grateful where to get books and which ones, where the best courses are etc. Many Thanks :rolleyes:

Leelee

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Have a look at the pinned topics in this section - the recomended books are detailed there.

Basicaly - Mike Meyers All-in-one and James Pyles PC technicians street smarts

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF

You do not really have to do a course for the A+, you could self study by just getting the books and reading the material until you are ready to take the exams.

If dyslexia is more of a problem when it comes to writing for you and your reading isn't then I would say self study would be ideal for you. If you get stuck you can always post on here and we can try and help you.

If you are interested in self study have a look for two books, one is compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Myeres and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles. If you can afford to have a look for an old PC you can take apart and put back together as this will help in the learning process.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Courses for A+? No. :)

I would suggest you grab a copy of the Mike Meyers - A+ All In One, 6th Edition. Amazon usually has the best prices for it from my experience. Read it cover to cover and see how you get on. It comes with a CD with practice tests etc on, which I found were spot on, see how you get on! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There is no best one way for everyone. There are pro's and con's to both self study and college study. The prefered method for most exams with most people is self-study. But the choice is yours.

BTW, Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security