Advent vs nitlc Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Awake, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Awake

Awake New Member

Hi all :)

Am new to this forum so please excuse me if simular topics have been posted before - ive had a quick browse but found nothing relevant to what id like to know.

Im basically looking at various training companies in web design and have boiled it down to 1 of 2 companies: Advent IT Training and the National IT Learning centre.

Advent offer CIW, whilst nitlc offer training and certification more relevant to microsoft. I'd like to know if anyone here has had any experience with either company - good or bad, before i take any step further?

Both companies appear to offer good training setups, with workshops, exams, certification, training support etc... but are quite pricey!

Any feedback on the credibility of these companies would be greatly appreciated...

Adam.

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Don't go for either, try the self study route, it will save you a lot of money.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi Adam, and welcome! :biggrin

Quite a few people come on here asking about CIW courses, here's a recent thread for you to see an overview of advice on the subject :tune

Web designers don't typically follow certification courses to get there - it's far more important to learn the basics, build up a portfolio (for your own experience and to demonstrate to future employers), and look for an entry-level job. Once you're there and you're being exposed to the technologies in demand would it be a good idea to start on the more advanced skills.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Good advice already given. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

I agree with what has been said.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome... :sunny
    Good advice already given, and here's a vote for the self-learn method. It's worth a shot before spending hard-earned money. :blink

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF!

Some excellent advice already given by the guys.
    I'd also add that it's better to try the self study route first before the training provider route because if it doesnt work out for you, then you have only spent/committed tens of pounds and not £000's of pounds.

Good luck whatever route you decide.

NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA