Advent Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Solidarity14, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

er.. thats a different point to what you made earlier ffreeloader...

you said " ...and these guys are going to teach anyone who comes everything covered in both of the tests in 2 days?"

I pointed out that's not the purpose of the workshop days, so you're wrong and I'm right

neener neener neener :D

Seriously though, in case tripwire thinks a bun fight is in the offing *G*, let me clarify my position.

I think the situation is more complex than I perceive you give it credit for.

As I understand your position, you firmly believe that classroom and distance learning is a ripoff because either one can do it oneself cheaper or there's not enough covered in class to satisfy the beginner.

Lets look at it from the beginners perspective. Many are unsure of their ability to work without the structure of a classroom. Some feel the need for the reassurance of having an instructor to answer questions and guide them. Many would be lost and unsure of where to begin without the structure provided by a training provider. (an interesting exercise would be a thread on why one when with a training provider over self study)

Total beginners would be unaware of the wealth of resources on the internet, and unsure of their ability to make use of it. Again the classroom or guided study route may suit.

I agree that these total beginners are generally not suitable material for MCSE, but it's a fact of life that, as a buzzword, it sells courses, and HR and bosses are aware of it also, and require it, even if it's never going to be used.

Yes, a home lab and books is cheaper. Its what I do. I've been on courses (through my employers in the past) and when the instructors were good, I got great benefit from them. With poor instructors (thankfully, rarely experienced by me) it would be different.

I also made the mistake of spending a lot on distance learning materials because I was lacking confidence to tackle the material solo. In hindsight I'd have been better off spending a little more on classroom instruction.

Anyhow, as I see it, rightly or wrongly, you tend to knock ALL classroom /distance learning and sometimes I feel the need to defend that territory - though not the distance learning stuff.. that's shyte..

anyhow, ramble over... :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Almost all the training providers being talked about here on this site are distance learning, i.e. self-study. They promise "help" by email or something similar to that. For this they charge huge fees and the student is left hanging, sometimes for days, until they get good and ready to answer questions or return graded work. Then they place time limits on the students that are unreasonable for both where the student starts and for the material covered.

How many of these trainers "require" their students to have home labs with all the appropriate OS's and software to work with so the student can actually learn? Book work alone can never teach a person the IT trade. So, why do the training providers allow people to get into their courses without their students being required to have labs?

I'm not against education, just against poor education, and any educational institution that doesn't make sure their students have "everything" that it takes to succeed is not providing what they are charging for.

Passing a test doesn't mean a person has skills, it means they passed a test, yet the trainers would have prospective students believe that passing a test equals skills and a job.

So, until I see training providers that are preparing their students for work IRL then I'll say they are not providing any real value and that they are misleading their students and taking advantage of them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

my training provider doesnt require that the students have a home lab, but they do supply a laptop + network kit so assuming you already have a pc at home, you do have the ability to set up a mini lab.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

but the point is ffreeloader that you don't appear to differentiate between these distance providers and others. I agree that training providers ought to be more honest about the requirements of these courses before trainees sign up. I can guarantee however, that when trainees go to my classes, they leave under no illusion as to what is required. I can say the same for my colleagues. I wish I could say the same for the sales team though....

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Hey guys,

Can I just speak up for Advent, I've been doing a course with them for the last 6+ weeks, and the experience thus far has been very favourable. They also operate a recruitment consultancy department, to, as I was told "help you find employment". I was told that once I'd achieved a certain status, that's when they'd be better able to help me find employment. I wasn't guaranteed a job, but then there never are any.

I agree that there probably are much cheaper ways of doing the MCP/MCSE route, but one thing I've found with a lot of IT professionals is that they always assume that everyone will know what they know about IT, which, of course, they won't. So some people will want the reassurance of doing class room work, or will need a paper based cert to state that "this person has been able to prove that to a certain extent they aren't completely IT illiterate, and as a result, please give them a starter job". Not all of us have several years experience to fall back on when going for jobs, and need that "foot in the door". Advent are probably no better or worse than any other provider, you get out what you put in.

Certifications: HND IT, A+
    WIP: MCP 2003 Server, XP Professional
  6. aaadammm

aaadammm New Member

Hi to all...From reading all ur posts none of you seem to impressed with @dvent computer trainng haha!! can any one suggest any course with the same idea and diretion, or even help without the same hole in the pocket??????
    aaadammm