Advent Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Solidarity14, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Solidarity14

Solidarity14 New Member

Hi, has anyone been through the whole course with Advent?? They claim that you will be able to get through all the learning in 14 months and will get you a job in the industry while you are still learning. If anyone has actually managed this can they let me know as I am considering joining them!!!

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

what does the "whole course" consist of? some info about the company?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Solidarity14

Solidarity14 New Member

7 modules taking you through A+, N+, MCP, MCSA and MCSE.

4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

5. Solidarity14

Solidarity14 New Member

That's the one!!

It costs £4450

Yes I do realise it's distance learning, I had a meeting with one of their representitives today.

6. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

sorry cant find anything about them on the net. maybe someone else will know.

either way take everything they say with a grain of salt, as of course their job is to sell you the course and they will therefore tell you whatever you want to hear.

7. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Hi Solidarity14, have a read of the various posts on this forum relating to training providers, especially those that provide distance learning courses.

I don't know much about Advent, but in my opinion, you could study for those certifications by yourself and probably progress at the same rate, if not faster than doing a distance-learning course.

And of course, you would save yourself a huge amount of cash.

But that is my opinion, good luck to you in whatever you choose to do, and welcome to the forums!

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  8. iank

iank Bit Poster

Hi there, I wrotr a post about Advent advertising that they now guarentee a job, I phoned the company to clariry how it worked, they said that they would get back to me, but of course never did. I also did some checks on the fact that they say they have been around for 12 years. I went to the libray and checked companies house records, but could not find this.

Just ask them to put it in writing (I bet they wont)

Cheers, and good luck

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

effectively distance-learning is self-study.. now for 5000 quid im sure you could buy ATLEAT 2 books for each exam... setup a lab with some pretty nifty pcs.. pay your exam fees and have cash left over.. on the other hand you will *have* support from them i presume...it has pros and cons so weigh them up before putting yourself deep into the red!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi there,

The biggest alarm bell I can hear is that they claim to put you through all of those in 14 months. I'm going on the CISCO route after the N+, but I am pretty sure that the MCSA and MCSE would take a lot more applied learning than the few months you would get to study them.

If you do manage to somehow get all these Certs done in that space of time, how much knowledge would you actually retain? Would there course material basically consist of a bunch of brain dumps, designed to make you pass the exam? If so, your Certs would look pretty, but your applied knowledge wouldn't be so good.

Ask for some examples of their course materials, and compare this to a course book in a library by a reputable author. There will probably be a huge difference.

Also, the 'job guarantee' is a statement to be taken with a pinch of salt. Make sure there is no small print - for example, that if you do not complete the course, or pass all the exams, then you don't get a job. Also, the job may be with them, and they may want to tie you in to some kind of contract.

Aside from that...they sound fine :blink

I agree with previous comments; if you've got the savvy, then self study. I myself am happily with a training provider, but I've got 4 years to do through to CCNP, not 14 months!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, after a short perusal of the Advent Computer Training site if you are not a very experienced Windows Server 2003 admin with a lot of experience with Active Directory and Exchange 2003 don't even think about taking their courses. They promise an MCSE and MCSA in 14 days.

They cover 70-291 and 70-293 in two days. What a joke. I know some very experienced admins who spent weeks studying for each one of those tests, and these guys are going to teach anyone who comes everything covered in both of the tests in 2 days?

My advice is: Don't waste your money.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. Arroryn

I've just checked out the website also - I'd be very dubious even thinking about giving them your hard-earned cash. Set yourself up a lab.

General question: if they are offering the A+ and N+, shouldn't they have a 'lowdown' or reference to those courses on their website also?

I also saw this
    I wish I could find one.

13. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

While I agree there are better options freeloader misses the point spectacularly. They don't promise MCSE etc in 14 days, nor do they expect to teach you 70-291 and 293 in 2 days.

The idea is supported SELF STUDY followed by WORKSHOPS. Its the workshops that last 14 days etc.

Just to be clear.

Thing is I bet these guys are no cheaper than a company that gives you x weeks classroom instruction plus the books...

you pay the same for less..

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  14. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

15. Arroryn

lol. For once, the wage suits - but I'm a Midlands girl, and relocating is an impossibility!

16. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

arronyn.. ces't la vie *g* ... northampton any good ? if so, there's often positions going there...

17. Arroryn

Where abouts? Northampton's a skip down the M1 for me, and not too far from my fella either.

18. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

just off the motorway... I dunno if there's anything going at present or not, but there frequently is...

19. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Nope. I didn't. The point is I can self study for the cost of books + costs to build lab + exam costs.

Through this training company I can self study with all of it's associated costs and then add all of Advent's costs for 14 days of workshops. Just what am I getting for their outrageous prices? 14 days of workshops in which material is skimmed so quickly there is no depth of coverage, and if I am not highly experienced I am going to receive little if any value because I will get lost because of the speed things are being covered. It's a guarantee that the instructor will not have the time to answer questions. The usual Sybex book for one of these exams is approximately 700+ pages so they will be covering between 80-90 pages per hour of instruction. (Things are really going to sink in and be well-understood for the average student at that rate aren't they?)

There is no percieved value to me whatsoever for their charges. I percieve them as a complete ripoff.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just a word to the wise. Conflicts happen and disagreements occur, however it is possible to disagree while not personalizing conflict. Thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+