Advent Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ITbod, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ITbod

ITbod New Member

Does anyone know what's happened to Advent? I've been doing some research into them, and there's a group on facebook saying that all their staff have been laid off?

2. CraigH

CraigH New Member

I know someone who has a family member in their tele-sales department.

Apparently they've all been told to leave work and not come back until further notice - that was around a week ago I believe. Virtually the entire head-office was sent home. And they've also stopped their sales guys from selling any more courses until further notice.

I don't want to be out of place - but something is obviously wrong - why else would a company do that?

I just hope that students who've spent money with them will be looked after.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It happens.

I'm guessing that they're feeling the pressures of the current economic climate.

Either that, or they've found asbestos in the ceiling.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Or suitcases of money :-)

The website is still up...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I'll buy them for a £1 and a pack of tabs

anyone getting a sense of some chickens may have stumbled across a GPS and have found their way back home for a touch of....er..roosting??

Karma, baby, Karma

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  6. Prezesmaks

Prezesmaks Bit Poster

Just to clear that out, an email I have just received from Advent-same on website.

"It is with the very greatest regret that I have to write to you to tell you that having tried our very best we have been unable to secure ongoing funding for the company and accordingly as matters currently stand we are unable to continue to provide your training.

Arrangements are being made for an insolvency practitioner to be appointed and I am sure you will be hearing from him. No doubt you will want to discuss the position with him or an adviser.

Yours sincerely

Advent Computer Training"

It looks like Ive just lost BIG money... Will look into it and try to find out how can I get my money back if any...:(

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+ --> MCSE
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My sympathies to all current Advent students !

Always bear in mind when handing over a large up-front payment to a company, that the company can go bust.

If there is no insurance or legislation to protect you it is likely that you will simply become a low priority creditor.

Low priority creditors normally lose 99% of their owed funds.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  8. keith1979

keith1979 New Member

I have been a student with Advent for the last 18 months after forking out just shy of £5000 for the course! I received this email this morning:
    "Dear KEITH

It is with the very greatest regret that I have to write to you to tell you that having tried our very best we have been unable to secure ongoing funding for the company and accordingly as matters currently stand we are unable to continue to provide your training.

Arrangements are being made for an insolvency practitioner to be appointed and I am sure you will be hearing from him. No doubt you will want to discuss the position with him or an adviser.

Yours sincerely

Advent Computer Training"

As you can imagine, i am extremely concerned! Where has my £5k gone, can i get it back? What have i been doing for the last few months getting ready for my first exams (a bit slow due to numerous other factors in my home life impacting on my studies)? And basically, what the ****? I really could do with getting the money back from Advent! Help would be much appreciated!!

9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

If they have continued to accept payments when they have known that the company is insolvent, then the directors will be in trouble. It won't purely be a case of pack up, walk away and start up again. Maybe in the old days, but not any longer...

I'll do what I always do and suggest that people contact both Trading Standards and the Citizens Advice Bureau... as quickly as possible.

10. Sorbicol

Sorbicol New Member

Well,

there's a lot of money I'm not going to see again. I've been caught out by this so back to square one, I was just about ready to take the first compTIA A+ exam as well.

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA ------> MCSE
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Maybe they had enough of all the complaints and bad press.

Sympathies to anyone unlucky enough to be using them.

And if they have been accepting payments when they are inslovent I am sure there could be claims for the money back but since they are insolvent then it could be a very long time before you see any money back if any at all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. timmer

timmer Bit Poster

I was meant to be on a training course tomorow but have had a call tonight to say they are going bust. Lots of my money down the drain..........

13. Awax

Awax New Member

Hi all,

Im currently am/was with advent, but im paying for my training through finance with barclays that was arranged by advent.. Does this mean I still need to pay even if Advent gone bust?

Thanks alot

14. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

These commerical unregulated companies structure their agreements in their favour not yours.

Advent have had their money and probably spent it, the credit company paid them in full when you took the loan. You now have a loan / credit agreement with Barclays, whatever happens with Advent or the course this loan still applies.

Having paid the full amount up front this leaves you with very little leverage if things don't come up to snuff.

Advent's directors could reform under a different name and do it all again before your obligation to Barclay's ends.

There are some very rich people in the commercial training game, and some of them are as deceptive as business people can get. They don't care if they destroy your career while getting their latest Ferrari or penthouse flat.

It is this sort of thing that makes TP's a bad bet, HE/FE colleges/universities are NOT funded like this, the government student loans company is quite different, you normally pay only one term in advance, not the entire course in advance, students will only ever end up paying for terms under which they received tuition. You have MUCH better protection.

15. jgiddings

jgiddings New Member

I inquired about starting a course with them just before christmas. But fortunately did not proceed due to bad reviews.

Lucky me.

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep unfortunately your agreement is with the bank not with advent. I would contatc the bank ASAP and tel them what has happened they may be able to help but it is very unlikely that they will let you off as you are the only way they will be able to secure getting their money back.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. Awax

Awax New Member

thanks alot for the replies, much appreciated, i am ruined now! :(

18. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

19. Awax

Awax New Member

20. Doreen87

Doreen87 New Member

I was with ADVENT training and have paid £7000 last july and today received an e-mail to say they are in receivership. :x