Advent Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Icecold, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Icecold

Icecold New Member

Hi,

I am looking into taking an MCSE course with Advent, ive already had one of there sales people visit my house and quoted me £4,950!! Im now looking into the Self Study option, out of interest if the exams are not passed first time will i need to layout the full amount again eg. 2 x £114 for the A+ Essentials to resit the exam...or are these offered at a reduced price?

Cheers, Jon

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi Jon, welcome to the forums, Advent have been discussed many times on here, along with other training providers, and the costs involved. Self Study is how most people on here work and Training with advent there is still a lot of that in there.

As for your exam question you only have to pay to resit the exam you fail, The A+ which you mention is two exams 601 and 602, if you passed 601 and failed 602 you woiuld pay to resit 602. It would be the full cost of the exam but their are voucers to bring the A+ cost down and Microsft run a promotion called "Second Shot" in which you can resit for free if you fail one of their exams.

If you have anymnore questions post them up and people will answer them, good luck in your studies!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

You can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com they cost £107 each with no VAT to pay whereas buying them for real is £111 + vat so you end upi saving about £30 or so.

Did you check with advent wether that price included the exam fees? some TPs just charge for the course not the exams.

If you are newbie to IT then you shouldn't be going for the MCSE anyway as it is an advanced cert that is for people to backup their on the job experience. Microsoft recommend 12-18months supporting a multi user multi server environment before attempting it.

The usual way for newbies is A+,N+ and MCDST

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Gingerdave

GBL Advent do include exam fees and also have a no fail (IE they keep paying for resits) the course that Jon would follow is Here and does include both the A+ and the MCDST

5. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Wow, have just looked at that Advent link.

They only give you 2 classroom days in total for 291 and 293!!!! That's about 1600 pages of the MS books.
    Glad I went the self-study route.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  6. Gingerdave

Yep but from what I saw the other day it was one on one with their senior trainer!

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Didn't know that :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. mattgerrard

mattgerrard New Member

Good spot greenbrucelee!
    Have bookmarked gracetech for when I come to take my exams!

Certifications: A-Level IT, Partial Bsc
    WIP: A+