Advent Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by andygt, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

do you work for advent? :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Surely not Sparky, you don't think anyone would try to deceive us do you :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. rajjinator

rajjinator New Member

Hi, decided to go for the advent training course but got refused the loan from barclays, applying again at royal bank of scotland tomorrow.

Sparky suggested that i go for the A+ course, but it seems that advents course lineup has recently changed and now includes the A+ course as well as the MCP and MCSE. Seems like a good deal..... if i can get approved for a Career development loan!

Oh and they 'apparently' are guaranteeing me a job after the course ends or my money back.

i'll keep y'all posted.

WIP: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE
  4. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Actually, I'm with them too, and they aren't bad. That said, I don't have anything to compare them with. They've never promised amazing results, and they have said that whatever I wanted to study for they'd help with, but that ultimately, that it was down to me.

They also never did the "this is only available for a short period" b******s. Are they better than anyone else? Not necessarily, are they the cheapest, probably not, they have delivered what they said they would, but for a price. You could probably do an MCP/MCSE etc at your local college for a LOT cheaper, but it's your money at the end of the day.

Certifications: HND IT, A+
    WIP: MCP 2003 Server, XP Professional
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks Balian - makes a difference when a known and trusted Members let's us know their opinion. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

:biggrin Aye, nay bother mate.

Certifications: HND IT, A+
    WIP: MCP 2003 Server, XP Professional
  7. iank

iank Bit Poster

Hi i would think twice about any company offering jobs or money back. It is impossible to guarentee jobs unless its on completion of the course with very low pay that they know you will not take.
    A good site to look at when considering trainers is Open and Distance learning quality Council.
    They check out companies to make sure that they are reputable and dont make false claims

hope it helps

8. Ash73

Ash73 Bit Poster

Hello everybody

This is my 1st time on here and i was looking in 2 advent training course.
    i have spoken to a advisor and the course sounds excellent even though the price of the course was abit of a shock.
    i am trying for a complete career change and hopefully wil make it in2 the I.T world.
    Could u please tell me if i would be better of doing the a+ and network + course 1st as the mcse course i want 2 do might be abit 2 much for me
    Also which other companys do u recommend besides Advent.

Wot r ICS like and wot is the price of the fees to take the exams if i went that way

Hope you can advise me :)

Certifications: A+ N+ 70-270 70-290 70-620 70-680 70-685 70-687 70-688
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Before answering that question we need to know what your background and knowledge of IT is?

A+ N+ is a good starting point!

Advent training are they still based in Potters Bar?

There are loads of training providers out there, best thing to do is try the search option on CF. Type the following keywords in and read the feedback!

NITLC
    Computeach
    Skillstrain
    Bootcamps
    ITLearnEasy

Good luck! :biggrin

oh it might be a good idea to introduce yourself under the Newbie section!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. Ash73

Ash73 Bit Poster

My Background in I.T is very little well no work experience

I have had a pc for 7 years and am very confident in using most applications also i can now build a pc from scratch and can repair a pc to an extent

That is y i want 2 move in 2 the I.T world and was hoping 2 do the mcse course

My previous work has mainly been factory work so it is a huge change and hopefully for the better

Certifications: A+ N+ 70-270 70-290 70-620 70-680 70-685 70-687 70-688
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Go for it!

Unless you try how will you ever know!

You might find you can do these courses through self study and not a learning provider.

If you get stuck you can always post your question here!

The guy's/girls here are very helpful and they were once in the same situation you are in now. So they know how difficult it is when starting in the IT field!

Let us know how you get on!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

May I ask what the price was?

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  13. Myrrdin

Myrrdin New Member

I checked out these guys recently - cost for an MCDBA is £4500, and includes CompTia A+ at the start.

WIP: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCDBA
  14. Leo G

Leo G New Member

Hi! i also am considering Advent training. The level of learning support is the main draw for me as, although computer literate and reasonably inteligent, i am a poor at self-motivation and have a poor track record for sorting out my own employment. Paul, the advisor who came to visit me, made no moneyback garantee but cited a 97% placement rate . He also said they achieve this by screening out 50% of applicants as unsuitable, so my questions are:

A)Is there an efficient way of comparing prices/ pass rates with other trainers? (Computeach certainly don't give prices up front)

B)Any way of testing their claim that employers are queueing up to take on their students?

Open and Distance learning quality Council website was no use for Advent as from ucheekimonkey's list only compuserve were listed

15. Leo G

Leo G New Member

Looking at CompTIA's own website the A+ looks quite within my own abilities as a self-taught course, so i'll go ahead with that. I'll let you know how i get on.

16. Prezesmaks

Prezesmaks Bit Poster

Hello guys.

Im new here and new in the UK as well :) so dont be harsh on me pls :). Couple of errors may occur during my writing so I do apologize ( still struggling a bit with fast eng typing ). I found you a bit too late but better later than never. I decided to go ahead with Advent MCSE training 2 weeks ago and yes I was looking some reviews and opinions about Advent. I think I was a bit blind as this time ur site appeard 3rd on google. Anyway currently I am worried about Advent service. Since two weeks Ive not received my stuff for study. Nothing. No call, no letter. But before I paid, loads of crap-leaflets, brochures ect. They even managed to make a mistake in my surname after 4 or 5 mail from them ( its all about details ). So my question is: If they show me such a student focus aproach now whats gonna happen in a couple of months? For me the most importand is job support so constant contact with their recruitment team. But somebody said they actually dont give a damn thing at the begining (3-5 months). Well, that period of time is absolutely crucial to find anything related with IT for me. Currnetly I work as a factory worker ( before that sales executive-quit `casue it was p**ing me off). My IT experience? None-just hobby. Ive been involved in comp's since 1993-4. Installing, upgrading -software, hardware ect. Well and I liked it so thats why I decied to go with IT-something what I enjoy. Im already post graduate but totally different field(pls dont ask me why I didnt go in this direction-Poland-different reality-loads to invest-nothing to get at the begining). TBH dunno if my education will help a bit in applying for IT job but I just believe so.

Hopefully its all understandable :) late hour. Im just concerned- is it worth to spend 5k on Advent and get only course and recruitment team is just a cheap (expensive) catch.

Thanks for anwser

Prezesmaks

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+ --> MCSE
  17. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

i dont agree with most of that they might have got your name wrong but i have been with them for 4 months now and i havnt had any problem so far and plus they have got 2 interviews for me even tho i have not passed any exams and am not certified yet. So i cant slate them thats my opinion anyway.

WIP: A+,mcp.mcdst,mcsa
  18. Prezesmaks

Prezesmaks Bit Poster

Thx m8.
    TBH thats what I wanted to read here. You know its just the first impression Ive got. Anyway, how long did u wait for first pack of your stuff? 2 weeks and Ive got nothing.

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+ --> MCSE
  19. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

i waited a few days i think about 4 days and i got my welcome pack student manual. maybe there is a reason for the delay the only way to find out is by asking them.

WIP: A+,mcp.mcdst,mcsa
  20. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

with advent while you are doing mcse you do do a+

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE