Advent Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by pete1, Apr 10, 2008.

1. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

Advice needed

Had a visit from advent training and must say the guy that came round was great, not pushy just gave me some career advice and what was available training wise. What i want to know is-is there anyone out there with experiences of advent training, are there any success stories or nightmares. All advice is welcome as i am considering going with them as i want to pursue a career in IT.

Thanks Pete :)

Certifications: ECDL
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Do a search on Advent here and you will find a lot of hits!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There sure are a lot of these "A salesman came and visited me and I'm wondering if I should pay an obnoxious amount of money to a training center" posts these days. :rolleyes:

Guys... do your research. It's all right there in front of you.... on this forum and many others.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

Shhhh..they are not salesmen, mine was a "Director of Recruitment"

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My apologies to the Directors out there. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

there are lots of threads on CF about Advent and other training companies and most are negative. These companies often say things like get the A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA and MCSE with no experience needed. That is just plain wrong the A+, N+ and MCDST can be done with no experience the MCSA and MCSE can be done with no experience but they shouldn't be as having those two certs without experience can harm your employment prospects.

Never believe the crap training providers push eg "you will get a job for 37k with these certs and no experience" because its BS. They often get around that by saying "you don't live in our geographical area" even if you live next door :blink

Its upto you at the end of the day but if you feel a course is for you then I would look at your local college and not listen to some salesman whos' job is to sell and has no idea about computers or whats best for someone looking to get certified.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?