ADVENT COMPUTER TRAINING WARNING !!!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by markcarty, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Right ok

I am affected by this as well, however all I can say at this point is: Companies go bust all the time, the government already has policies in place to deal with liquidation and creditors so they will not step in, they certainly will not step in for a company the size of Advent. Take your loss on the chin, suck it up and get on with the study.

If you really have to complain contact the administrators.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well said that man.

Look at what happened when companies like Rover folded.
    How many thousands lost their jobs, how many millions were owed?

Sorry mate, but given that the whole economy is teetering on the brink, I don't think the chancellor is going to have much time for your petition.

And I for one wouldn't appreciate public money being spent bailing people out...

Move on.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

rep for ya, that's a good pic Stand and deliver :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Stormhawk

Stormhawk Bit Poster

Will do Boycie....

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+
  5. Stormhawk

Stormhawk Bit Poster

lol Oh They Delivered and I didnt even have to get me Musketts out lol:eek:

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There's always a catch with banks, just make sure you know what your going into now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good news, you will still have to pay the money though so get studying! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. singe1642

singe1642 Bit Poster

That's great news, I'm hoping they'll dso something for us who've paid up.

WIP: CompTIA A+ Essentilas
  9. jimjoe

jimjoe New Member

FYI !!!! '' ADVENT COMPUTER TRAINING '', have STOPPED TRADING & TRAINING. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

For the love of all that's HOLY, have you read the rest of this thread.

Well done mate, you have won this months prize for stating the bleeding obvious.

Tut, move on guys, nothing new here.:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. betatrials

betatrials New Member

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

why wasn't i told? !!!!!!!!!

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, that's 107 silly-billys.

Without going into national economics, where is this magic pot of money that's going to be used to refund you all?

Advent don't have any money, that's what going bust means.
    Their staff probably didn't get paid, their supplies haven't been paid, their bills haven't been paid, THEY HAVE NO MONEY.

Barclays don't have your money THEY GAVE IT TO ADVENT.

Every single person in this deal is out of pocket.

What do you want the PM to do?
    Feel so sorry for you that he decides not to pay off the national debt but to start handing cash out to people? Where will it all end?

Tell you what, if some people put as much effort into studying as they do into complaining there'd be 107 more MCSEs on the planet right now.

14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

With no experience to back it up. Not worth the paper (or electricity) it's on.

But seriously, you've been ripped off. Get on with it and move on with your life.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  15. betatrials

betatrials New Member

For a start, I'm not prepared to just "move on" after losing so much money. I, for one have not recevied ANY correspondance from BPF or Advent. Anything I know, I have found out for myself. And to be honest, that's a disgrace :eek: Who's knows whats happening with my money, it would be good if I was told something!

And who said Advent have received all the money? Theres actually mixed stories...There are reports that Advent went bust as BPF weren't releasing all the money to them at once.

Fair enough I can appreciate the PM has enough on his plate etc etc, but I'd rather do something than sit around waiting...

16. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I haven't sent Barclays a letter about Section 75 in the Consumer Credit Act, I am simply keeping my fingers crossed that they pick a reputable training provider... :blink do they exist though?!?!

Anyway I am looking forward to the next training provider if its to the same standard as Advent or better.
    Advent had free sandwiches at there classroom days

Maybe they will have free Roast Dinners on classroom days if the standard is to be better :biggrin
    So to all Advent victims out there quit Whining and start Working/Quit YO JIBBER JABBER! FOOL! :p

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You're right, that does suck.
    I'm not trying to defend it, but when a company goes bust things don't always work as smoothly as they should.
    The Advent staff aren't going to be motivated to contact students.
    They will have gone home to think about how to pay their mortgages next month.

The administrators will have been struggling with an unfamiliar database of student records (or a big filing cabinet) and unfortunatley they are going to deal with the big players first, who are usually the banks etc.

Although you have lost a 'considerable' amount of money to you personally, Advent probably have an outstanding phone bill of 4 or 5 times the amount that you've lost. So sadly, in the big picture, you're the little guy.

Barlcays will have retained some of the money that was due to go to Advent. A portion of this will be used to fund alternative training for students. The rest will be to cover their losses from charges/repayments that Advent may have owed them.

Like I said, there are no winners here - with the possible exception of the administrators who usually get paid a fee for sorting the mess out.

The suppliers out there who are owed 5 figure sums will lick their wounds and move on, because they know how these things work.

I know it hurts, but all you can do now is wait for the creditors report from the administrators, which could take six months.

18. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Then that is your look out, realistically you are not going to get it back, you are going to spend time and effort chasing it, or you can move on, one gets you somewhere the other leaves you dwelling on this and getting no where, simply it is your choice. You said you would rather do something - well rock on with the study, thats what you paid the money to Advent for, so what is stopping you?

The offical story from advent is that they have some money ring fenced in Barclays for this and you should contact them. The insolvancy was caused because Barclays has decided to get out of the educational funding side and stopped giving them they money, so somepeople may have recourse to go to Barclays and say I never recieved this / any training. That is between you and the bank.

As pointed out asking the government to help us out is wrong headed at best and down right stupid at worst is it keeps you focusing on a magic solution that just isnt coming, and having people hope that it does stops them from moving on.

So if you want to sit and dwell on this, all power to you chief. I for one am going to move the **** on and get on with my studying.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  19. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Johnny, we need to go for a drink some time. :D

+Repped

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  20. betatrials

betatrials New Member

Because.....I would have to pay more to get the course materials perhaps!