ADVENT COMPUTER TRAINING WARNING !!!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by markcarty, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ratty

Ratty New Member

My advice would be to ring Hitachi Capital and ask them what they're planning to do.

As I understand it, every credit agreement has the same 'section 75', no matter what financial company it's with. As long as it was a loan that was taken out for the course, and not just a personal loan which you then used to pay for the course, then you should be covered.

2. singe1642

singe1642 Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I have some news if you're interested.

Rang Consumer Direct this morning (new name for Trading Standards). Spoke to Abdul who asked if I had a Fixed Sum Loan Agreement, having said yes, he then asked about the date it ws set up in my case August '08.

Now the interesting bit: Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 Barclay ARE in breach of contract through Advent's demise and he suggested I write to Barclays (and I would do the same for other financial bodies) about the agreement (I'm also going to send them copies of everything to do with Advent as well) by 1st Class post getting a free certificate from the Post Office or by recorded delivery.
    If you've heard nothing in 8 weeks, then contact the Financial Ombudsman on 0845 0801 800.
    Even if you, like me, have paid the whole thing off there is still a claim possible.

generalgaz, I'm in the same position as you with no exam passes, have had more help from Advent but only in the form of more reading.

WIP: CompTIA A+ Essentilas
  3. mcgill

mcgill New Member

Hi all,

Grrrr.. how annoying is all this malarky! After searching and reading many, many forums on the subject of those tossers going bust, is anyone able to give me a straight answer?

My initial loan agreement was with Clydsedale Bank (who Advent were going through at the time I signed up to the Master CIW Designer course), when I was paying monthly. I then decided to consolidate the course fee (along with a few other bits) so that I could just pay off Advent. The consolidation loan was taken out with Lloyds TSB. I paid this with a Visa Debit Card, but after reading up on Section 75.. not too sure where I stand, as it's not a Credit Card.

Can someone give me any relevant information relating to any supporting clauses, either within the Advent contract or any generic clauses that Banks are legally bound to.

Any advise would be greatly received!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Read the earlier advice on this, and all the other threads related to Advent and other training companies going bust - Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau. They will be able to give you better, and far more reliable advice than a bunch of people on the Internet whom you've never met

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Zeb's got a point.
    While we do feel for people in difficulty, there's already quite a few answers already out there.

You've probably screwed yourself to be honest. Clydesdale or a credit card would have given you some protection, but a debit card won't.

While it's all a bit of a shame for everyone involved, like I've said before it's not necessarily anyones fault and you aren't necessarily 'entitled' to be rescued by anyone.

If you had bought a kitchen from Magnet and they went bust the week before they came to install it, you'd be in the same boat. Or if you bought a bottle of wine from the supermarket and dropped it on the pavement before getting home. Life sucks sometimes.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. colin Rose

colin Rose New Member

Hi Generalgaz, I am like you shattered by the news of Advent going bust. I was getting along well with the first book, and about to take the test when the bombshell dropped. I would be willing to purchase books 2 & 3 off of you if you are willing to dispose of them. please contact me on my Email address rosecl at gmail.com if you are interested
    Regards
    colin rose

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
  7. shminkydj

shminkydj New Member

Post moved by Boycie

Hi i am new to the Forum!!!! I wish i had found this before signing up to Advent...
    they have/had such a slick sales pitch i fell for it hook line and sinker...If i was gonna spend this kind of money on a recreational product i would have researched it thoroughly but because its education they know they have you at a weak spot.....
    the Fact that i didnt have to Start paying off my Finance for a couple of months after my course started made me think they were straight up.....
    After getting bogged down in the Compti a+ book i started to realise there was no way i could learn everything in the couple of months the adviser had indicated so i would be able to get a job soon after i woujld have to pay for the course!!!!!
    So i searched out this forum and low and behold everybody has something to say about advent!!!1
    So Barclays have pulled the funding hence Advent has had to close. I have spoken to barclays about the situation and they say theay will provide alternative training......
    This is my problem...Maybe the alternative training provider will be better than advent and it would be beneficial to carry on with the course...BUT SURELY THIS SHOULD BE MY CHOICE....!!!!!!after many heated words with one of the managers at Barclays (Smug little ****) i have been told i have no choice....i must honour the loan no matter what. As far as i am concerned the agreement is void because what i am paying for no longer exists...Remember it is barclays that have withdrawn the funding..because of them the course i signed up to no longer exists!!!!
    They are adamant that i have to do what ever course they decide.
    They have an agreement with me to pay them 6 grand surely for that kind of money i should be able to pick the course i want?/
    Any thoughts?????Sorry for the length but i am livid!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
  8. singe1642

singe1642 Bit Poster

"Now the interesting bit: Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 Barclay ARE in breach of contract through Advent's demise and he suggested I write to Barclays (and I would do the same for other financial bodies) about the agreement (I'm also going to send them copies of everything to do with Advent as well) by 1st Class post getting a free certificate from the Post Office or by recorded delivery.
    If you've heard nothing in 8 weeks, then contact the Financial Ombudsman on 0845 0801 800.
    Even if you, like me, have paid the whole thing off there is still a claim possible."

Sorry for repeating myself but, having received nothing from Barclays, I am now proceding down this route. Schminkydj, if you entered into a fixed loan agreement with Barcalys the maybe this is the route you should follow. Of course I may be onto a hiding for nothing having paid the full amount and if they offer me another TP well I'll be moderately content.

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thing is mate, what you think that you should be entitled to doesn't really ammount to a hill of beans when you compare it to, say, reality.

Banks are all rolled up in red tape, laws and regulations - so you can't just say that they're wrong because you don't like it.

To be quite frank, I'm amazed that they've got some kind of obligation to find alternative training for anyone, so I'd be grateful for that. And no, it's unlikely to be as good as Advent, as Barclays fill pay them a fraction of the cost that you paid Advent. But it will be something.

At the end of the day, if you take out a bank loan and spend the money on magic beans, I don't see how that can be the bank's fault when you don't end up with a beanstalk.

Don't get me wrong, we all feel the pain of what has happened to Advent students, but ranting won't help.

10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Goddam Magic Beans !!!! Thats the fifth time this week that gypsy's got me !!!

Still no Beanstalk ! £15k down now, I'm gonna go back though, sure next time he'll give me the good stuff !!!

Just one beanstalk and I'll get it all back ! Pot of Gold and all the teen princess a$$ I can handle !!! :biggrin

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  11. singe1642

singe1642 Bit Poster

Dammit, that gypsy gets about. All my beans did was make a good stew.:biggrin

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I don't mean to be hard but after 20 months of studying and still not done the essentials exam do you really think you're cut out for IT?

I'm afraid that you'll find that you have to keep paying Barclays no matter what. They paid Advent the whole amount when you signed up and you agreed to pay Barclays back on a monthly basis.

If I was going to spend 6K on something I'd research it thoroughly no matter what it was. Sorry but if you can't be bothered to do that then it's no-one's fault but your own.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. mister_T

mister_T New Member

If you buy a course like this then you have to do the work.

It doesnt matter you paid £5000 for it. You do the work. Who does the work if you get the job youre after? you have to.

The training company is there to help you along not do it for you.

Some students expect to do A+ or MCDST and then be paid a fortune! Its like getting a GCSE(and you know how easy they are lol) and expecting someone to give you 30k a year! Aint happening.

Do the MCSE. Dont just do A+. If youre only doing A+ why are you in IT? A+ is a helpdesk job, like working in a call centre. Whats the difference?

Does anyone know of companies doing 12 month courses as i dont want to spend too much if I sign up..

Mr T

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

He pity the fool...

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This, I agree with.

This, I don't. If you don't know the difference between the MCSE and A+, and who should be pursuing which one, then you don't need to be giving advice on an IT certification forum.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Ratty

Ratty New Member

I think I read somewhere (can't remember where now, everything I've read on this has become a blur) that the course Barclays offer has to be the same standard or better than the one from Advent.

I rang Barclays yesterday, as I hadn't received the letter they'd promised. I just got an excuse about them having to write to over 6,000 people about this, so it's not going to happen quickly.

I now think I'm going to make an appointment with the CAB, so then at least I know exactly what I'm talking about next time I talk to Barclays.

17. Stormhawk

Stormhawk Bit Poster

JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW.... I went to Barclays today and spoke to the Finance dept on the banks phone and made a right Fuss about them stealing my money while we have NO training at the moment. and it must have worked as I got a letter today from barclays in writting stating that my Account for the Advent training has been put on HOLD while a new training company is located and my Direct Debit has been Cancelled so they are now no longer taking any money from me until a new training company is found. then I can re start the Direct Debit in the future if and when a new training company is found. I hope this helps you all and you can tell Barclays that This has been done for me and if it will help I can if needed take a scan of the letter and post it on here so you can print it out and take it to Barclays and show them that its been done for me so they should do it for you as we are all in the same boat.....

Connor...:biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+
  18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

that's excellent news mate! Thanks for letting the other members know and hope you let us know of any other changes.

Cheers

Boycie

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  19. betatrials

betatrials New Member

20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Yeah, banks will do that.

:eek: