Advent computer training problems. need help asap.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by markpfinch, Oct 28, 2008.

1. markpfinch

markpfinch New Member

hi all, im new on here. I have been with Advent computer training nearly a year now. I am studying MCSE. I have had a number of problems with them. they just dont seem to be bothered about you once you have signed up! I have made a number of complaints to them and seem to get no where. They wont even let me leave the course without paying the full amount. The materials they provide i feel are inadequete and out of date. And when i took my exam for comptia a+, most of the questions i got were not even relevent to the materials i was given to study. when i rang up and complained they told me i had to research the internet. They didnt give me no websites or advice. I then complained again that the support is poor and I was sent a practice exam, which was no help. So I then wrote a letter to them saying they are not supplying what I signed up for. They offered me sum extra materials but said if I except these materials I cannot complain further or again in the future. THIS CANT BE A FAIR SUPPLY OF GOODS SURELY!!! HOW CAN I PAY £4750 to this company!!! Its seems one big con!!

Has anyone else been conned by this company? whats your situation and what have you done about it?

NEEDS SUM HELP ASAP. BEFORE I SEEK LEGAL ADVISE!

Many thanks.

2. ibie1983

ibie1983 New Member

hey mate just went to see one of their careers advisors on Oxford street today the 31st October 2008. I was quoted 5,500 pounds for networking course that contains the following certifications CompTIA A+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA. I have to say your current experience will be putting me off as I dont think il be joining now. Keep me posted. Thanks

Ibie

3. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

lol @ them saying you cannot complain in the future if you accept the materials... Problem is they can send boxes and envelopes of materials from their dispatch office very easily and quickly, however it costs us - the average Joe a fortune to send it back, and get it back to them in good time

Right, consumer rights - probably a waste of time. They'll note it down, and give you a reference number, but will tell you about the 'contractual' part of it, and how there's nothing they can really do for you

I suggest going to a lawyer. You will get free legal aid, if you exaggerate on how much you pay out each month to various things - why should a heroin addict, or dole bum sponger get free legal aid whilst someone willing to better themselves gets screwed over with legals costs on top of it. As long as the materials are all in tact, I'd bag every little bit up, and keep it locked away in the wardrobe. Say to the lawyer how they are not living up to their end of the bargain, and that you are not getting what they originally offered or promised to offer you. A contract is legal with 2 or more parties, and all have to carry out what was stated for it to be legally binding. Small claims court may be the option or route your lawyer goes down.
    Another is bad press, try to phone up AND e-mail the Sun, Daily Record, English newspapers, local ones etc.

I feel for you. I've had the same thing happen to me, luckily I was able to get out within the initial 7 days of signing the agreement by sending cancellation letters back within the 7 days. They'll be a way out, just don't get too stressed

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  4. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Sorry to hear your predicament mate. I have always believed that self study is always the best, am not saying that computer training schools should be ruled out but if you ask me they are only out there to make money. Am presently enrolled in NIIT but I do most of my studies on my own and am way ahead of my class, I just make use of their facilities(labs) more, but still need to carry out those lab work so i set up a lab at home and practise. Hope you find a way to sort yourself out.. Best wishes

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I am with them, and I have had no problems what so ever.

In fact i feel they have been a better route for me than self-study because they keep me going.
    You have to stay on course in terms of time goals.

You do go to the workshops right???? .. that is probably the main component of the cost.

They even found a mate of mine a job and i have been offered interviews (which i couldnt take due to personal reasons.)

The materials for the A+ are mike meyers , the old materials were fine just a bit more straight out of A+ objectives not so reader friendly (infact i think the material was comptia's own exclusive to advent). the Microsoft stuff is MS press plus there own guides.

AndiC

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. The_Dark_Side

The_Dark_Side Bit Poster

It always amazes me when these companies charge huge ammounts for a big pile of.....
    In the IT training industry, the term "you get what you pay for" does not seem to apply.
    I have worked in several of these companies in the past (freelance) and have seen first hand what a bunch of cowboys they are.

If within 6 months you can contact card issuer and claim that you did not recieve the goods you paid for and claim a direct refund through your card
    If over 6 months, go to small claims court. I would keep all correspondance, information telephone bills. to prove that you contacted them on multiple occasions but with little/no reply. Your testomony with this evidence should do the trick!
    You may find that when you go to court, that they do not bother to turn up, especially if you file the action at a court far from their offices. Once the court issues a CCJ the training company should pay up!
    I would pay little/no money for a solicitor as the case is simple, you have the evidence and all you have to do is tell the court what you have told us and you will be fine. Try the CAB for points of law.

Good luck

7. mickaveli2001

Again, I'd go to a lawyer, get the legal advise first, get copies of ALL your complaints. Complain via e-mail, and any telephone complaints should be dated - even recorded. Get yourself a cheap dictaphone and record the conversations - not for any purpose other than to listen again to remember possible, crucial things you may need like a name such as when they answer and go "Hi you're through to Jane, at Advent how may I help" and you forget what their name is or to ask for verification. Recording their phone conversations and trying to use these is against the law

When you have (which you already may have) a catalouge of questions, query and complaints stored, then call up Office of Fair Trading, and/or Trading standards to find out your consumer rightsand what advise they give, and basically for a REF# to be booked into their system to have you covered to show legally you have done everything you can. Then you see a lawyer to get legal advise, then you simply "don't" pay them, and continue to see your lawyer

8. The_Dark_Side

The_Dark_Side Bit Poster

Very shrewed,
    Only not pay your lawyer if all you have done is chat, if he does any billable work pay them, they always sue, its's what they do!

9. mickaveli2001

I meant don't pay Advent. I didn't mean 'don't pay the Lawyer. The lawyer will charge for those little chats, the lawyer will also charge for any letters that get sent out to you, and any court visits amongst other things, sometimes even phonecalls or updates at a small fee. At the end you will be given a total bill (including VAT) unless you get free legal aid (usually only permitted once or twice)
    It's always ideal and vital to have all the correct tools in place beforehand, before cancelling any direct debit agreement, or credit agreement, because you will get debt collectors and other things coming after you, and probably issue some kind of court action against you, so you can see why it's good to have a trading standards incident reference number, a catalouge of saved complaints, unresolved questions, and anything helpful to demonstrate your appeals for help, all stored away in a file along with all the materials from Advent stored away safely, so then they can clearly see you've went down every other avenue possible to resolve problems that have arisen from this agreement - or a better terminology "contract", which they haven't properly corrected, so then you'll have a much better position at the small claims court in coming to an agreement in repayment plans, or getting to come out of the agreement altogether. Your credit score will be affected by this though regardless, but it's a small price to pay, and is experience for yourself in knowing how to pursue your future goals. Good luck, and let us know how you get on