Advantages of using a Training Provider

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Fergal1982, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok, we here at CF spend a lot of time nay-saying TP's. Its largely due to the fact that we prefer our hard blagged cash to stay in our own pockets, rather than handing it out to whoever asks for it, among other reasons.

However, in the interests of fairness, I would like to start this thread, to discuss the benefits of using a TP, as opposed to the self-study route.

Firstly, I would ask that we do not use this thread as a platform to further slag TPs off. I would like this thread to advocate the benefits of using a TP, so that those who are seriously trying to decide between the two can see the benefits available from using this particular method. If they want to see the downsides, the forum is full of our views on the matter.

Secondly, I want to clarify that, for the purposes of this thread, a TP is any organisation which provide you with a structured learning program for a specific course/set of courses. This includes colleges, etc. However, it does not include such TPs that simply hand you the material and let you get on with it. In my mind, thats simply paying a lot of money to go down the self-study route. (I'm letting my bias into the thread on this a little, but since im starting it, tough! :biggrin)

So, to start things off, for those TPs that provide a scheduled period of study (ie classes/livemeetings/etc), this can be an invaluable method for encouraging the student to study regularly. I for one am prone to not doing anything if i can avoid it. Give me a class to attend every week though, and Im there.

Also, Tps that provide classes, or Tutors provide you with a forum by which you can ask for clarifications, and get more information on subjects which you need assistance on.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Okay here's mine: Using a TP can potentially increase the money that goes into my pocket. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Here's mine:

You can call yourself a student and feel young again (I know I'm only 20 but trust me I feel older!). :D

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  4. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

TP' s provides me with time limited targets, i try to learn as much as possible about each subject before attending the course, at the end of each course i book the exams within 2 weeks and therefore have another targets to work towards encouraging me to revise and study. after the exam its back to studying for the next course, without these deadlines my study would take me 4-5 years, currently I'm on course for about 14 months.

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298