Adult Tutoring

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shadowwebs, Oct 9, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have been getting really bored of my job for a while now, and keep on thinking about a career path change, whilst still remaining in IT.

One option that I keep on thinking about is going in to Adult Tutoring, in the area of teaching students for example the A+ and other IT areas of experience.

I already hold the A+ myself, and am not scared of doing other certifications where needed... can anyone point me in the right direction for what is required to get in to this area

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

You don't theoretically need any qualifications to teach the A+. Microsoft have a certified trainer qualification MCT Certification | Microsoft Certified Trainer | Learning Consultant

You will probably find, at least in my neck of the woods, most jobs want you to teach Office and that, cos that's what gets funding.

A PGCE is the kind of gold standard for teaching. You need one, for example, to become a teacher in a school.

3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Do you think it would be worth me contacting the IT guy at one of the colleges that I used to go to to see what information he has on the path in to.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

No harm in trying.

What I will say is that the one company I have used in the past, they use all self-employed tutors, who work for a multitude of training companies across the UK. Handsomely paid they might be, but would you fancy staying in hotels miles away from home for 3,4,5 days a week?

5. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

As far as I know you don't need a PGCE to teach adults.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This is needed to be a qualified teacher in secondary education.

No you don't (see above). If you want to be a qualified lecturer, then yes you could go down the route of the Qualified teacher status (QTS) or the Qualified Teaching and learning Status (QTLS), there are various routes and option to go down, eg the GTP, the PGCE, the DTTLS, etc...

However the Further Education (FE) has been "revised", before you needed at least the PTTLLS certification to teach on public funded courses, however this isn't the case anymore. Qualifications and membership to the IfL is now voluntary, however whether or not the organisation who will employ you has that as a requirement is something else.

There are trainer/instructor/teaching certs out there, eg:

Train the trainer
    Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTTLS)
    Certificate to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (CTTLS)
    Diploma to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTTLS)
    Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement (this forms the NVQ assessors qualification)
    TAP

etc, etc, etc...

There are other "instructional" certs from vendors out there too that really hold no weight outside the vendors own educational programs, eg:

Microsoft: MCT
    IC3: IC3 authorized instructor
    Cisco: Certified Cisco Systems Instructor (CCSI)

etc, etc, etc...

As an Associate lecturer with the OU (however this is Higher Education), they were more interested in my MCT, my degree and my experience (rather than my PTTLS certificate).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    livingwater likes this.
  7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Sounds like a nice break from the missus! 3,4,5 days a week sounds a lot better than being a consultant and being away for weeks upon end! i miss my desk based job sometimes!

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The requirements are usually pretty high for trainers though, ideally you should be able to really add value to the standard course materials based on real world experience.