Adult IT Tutor

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shadowwebs, Jan 1, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Hello

I have been working in IT for a number of years now in Tech Support roles but have been thinking that I want to get in to tutoring adults for IT.

Can anyone provide me any information with what the requirements are? ... qualifications/certifications/tips/etc

Thanks & A Happy New Year

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It can vary from organisation to organisation, however if you are going to be teaching further education courses (post-16 education, i.e. adult education) then you will need to have at least the Preparing to Teach in Lifelong Learning (PTLLS) as it is now a minimum requirement, or at least gain it within the first year (The Further Education Teachers’ Qualifications (England) Regulations 2007). Professional membership into a Professional teaching organisation may be required (eg IfL).

Then there are vendor trainer qualifications like the MCT (from Microsoft for MOS/MCTS/MCITP), IC3 authorized instructor (for IC3), the CTT+ (Comptia's own vendor neutral technical trainer cert), etc. However the MCT and IC3 authorized instructor require you to have been delivering training courses for X amount of time or already have the CTT+.

Other tips...

1. Once you have gain the PTTLS (promuned "Petals") and have X amount of time actually teaching then look into gaining your Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (CTTLS, pronouned "Kettles"), you can then start the process to gain your Associate Teacher, Learning & Skills (ATLS) status from the IfL.

2. You can do the PTTLS and CTTLS at level 3 or 4, 3 being easier. However as level 3 is easier there are more people with it; if you can go for it, go for level 4 - but in the grand scheme of things does it really bother you?

3. One thing I was looking at was becoming a NVQ Assessor, however to order to gain the qualification you have to be already working as a NVQ Assessor. But there is a unit (1 out of 4) that can be gain without having to be a NVQ Assessor, the "Understanding the principles and practices of assessment" unit. This may be something that interests you.

4. As always things, eg regulations change, make sure that you keep up to date. The teaching field is a more regulated field than IT.

It is a nice field to get into, I've been doing this on/off for about 3+ years in total (in a FE/HE College, and now with a University) part-time :)

Good luck with it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think that Ken has given you the most comprehensive answer that you're ever going to get.:biggrin

A lot of it depends on what/how you want to teach.
    Of course, in order to tutor people you don't NEED any kind of qualification other than a sound knowledge of your subject area.

Many institutions offer a qualified instructor program (such as CIW or IITT) but you need to look into these all carefully as many don't hold much water outside their own organisation or partnership circle.

Some have certain advantages such as access to software or training material (MCT gives you 'free' access to TecNet). Some have certain disadvantages (again, MCT forces you to use only official MS training material and submit student feedback). Some also require hefty membership fees.

A good place to start is the CTT+. This will give you a good foundation in the principles of training and can often be used as evidence towards other qualifications.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I did NVQ assessor many years ago when it was still D32/33. I guess it has changed now. The main criteria was that you knew the subjects/skills being measured. Then, while you were assessing your candidate, some guy would be following you around assessing you. It was a bit surreal.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yeah, the D32/33 was replaced by the A1/A2 which has now been replaced with the Level 3 QCF NVQ Assessor Certificate and Level 4 QCF IQA Internal Verifier Certificate.

However those with the D32/D33 are still ok to assess :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security