1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Harry, now I understand. It may not be just a UK thing but we are so far behind here In Oz that some of the things you take for granted are only just arriving here.

I think the buzz word here is *churning* from one broadband ISP to another, not sure if that is a global expression or just another Aussie made up word like this arvo or sunnies 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

"Churn" is a standard telco/ISP expression used almost everywhere. For us it is a measure of how many people don't renew subs when they fall due. Considerable effort is put into reducing churn.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah, so here they are slightly changing the meaning then, as there are ISP's which support churning, which means there is no penalty if you change from one ISP to another as long as they support churning.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

MACs are valid for 30 days

As far as i'm aware, you will not be able to use an ADSL provisioned line to connect to a different ISP than that whose marker is on the line, due to routing. Same ISP, yes.

This is because after the BT radius, connections are routed to the respective ISP.

Would you agree Harry? If not please explain it to me!

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - the description I gave above of how Option 4 worked was what I understand at the moment. I think I'll have a talk to some of our Opt4 people to see if it is accurate, or has changed.

I know that BT are upgrading the DSLAMs and the ATM links all the time, so things may have changed.

Harry. (currently specializing in wholesale telephony)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+