ADSL-WIC

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by oush, Feb 3, 2009.

1. oush

oush Byte Poster

Hi,

I have a 24meg line and im wanting to put a ADSL-WIC card into my 3640 router or 1760, now will the adsl wic interface support 24meg?

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

The Cisco 877 router have a bug in them that limits there sync speed to 14999 but not sure if this effects all the Cisco ADSL-WIC too so you might want to have a dig about the net first before making any decisions

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. oush

oush Byte Poster

coudlnt find anything tbh

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to expand a little the problem seems to be with Cisco 877 and the Alcatel DSLAM

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. loco020

loco020 New Member

6. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello you guys.
    I have a modular Cisco router with a adsl wic card on it, I also have an up to 8 mbps adsl connection with BT.
    I was told that my router won't support my up to 8 mbps internet connection as it was designed to support only T1/E1 connections.
    So, question really is, is there an ADSL WIC Card for this router that will support this connection or the problem is the modular 1721 router itself that won’t support it?
    BosonMichale, what is your valuable opinion about this?
    I refuse honestly to believe that CISCO with all their professional equipment don't have anything to work on this kind of line, surely they must have, no????
    Any comments please...
    Cheers

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude, I was using 10/100 Ethernet WICs which more than supported my 6 meg connection... that's not the bottleneck - it's the router itself. It can't handle routing that many packets.

They DO have devices (plenty of them!) that can handle 8 meg connections... but the 1720 isn't one of them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. albertc30

Could you please name one? An afordable option that is.
    Thanks BosonMichael and everyone.

9. BosonMichael

The 1800-series routers can theoretically handle five times the load of the 1721.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. albertc30

Thanks BosonMichael.
    Sorry for being pain of the a***.
    Have a nice weekend everybody.
    I shall spend mine catching up with my CCNA Module 3 material as 5 weeks have gone by and I only just done chapter 4 this morning. I’ve been studding since 04:30. I am tiered and want to sleep.
    :sleeping

11. BosonMichael

No problem at all. I didn't know that the 1721s weren't designed to handle more than T1 speeds until I experienced it for myself in a production network... and it wasn't easy to find the reason why. :)