ADSL Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowwebs, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Yeah if you have DHCP off on the second router then it wont be able to assign any IP, unless there is any way of relaying the dhcp requests to the original router.

Probably dependant on what software is on them units? Not seen either of them myself so it's hard for me to say.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

tonight I will give it a try by assigning the AP an IP within the dhcp range which will be reserved on the link router, and then see if it starts to also pass on DHCP once I have re-enabled. I will feedback how I get on.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Sparky

Avoid using a second router - you want a dedicated AP - all DHCP from your original router.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. shadowwebs

Sparky I would buy one of them but as it's only for the home, I can hide the second router behind the TV unit, I don't really want to fork out 80 quid for a dedicated AP. I have just got off the phone with my ISP and have got my original link router up and running again, lots to do tonight still so will look at setting up the AP tomorrow me thinks.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  6. Sparky

Cool - just that running two routers can be hassle you don't need.

7. shadowwebs

I guess that i'm probably making this all more difficult than I need to, as all I actually need to do is plug in a second router to the powerline adapter, give this second router the same ssid and wpa2 password and then it will broadcast. for my own mind I will then also set the router IP to be in the same range as the link router.

8. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

The router would already get an IP in the same range due to dhcp wouldn't it? Do you need to set one?

How many wireless devices do you have in the house? Maybe create reservations for the same IP on both routers for each device, Make sure both have same range etc.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  9. Sparky

Depends on the router TBH - I would switch DHCP off on the second router and give the router a static LAN IP. Make sure the LAN IP is not in the DHCP scope of the main gateway router. Have done this with some Netgear ADSL routers over the years to make them run as a AP.