ADSL Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowwebs, Jan 12, 2015.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I'm currently with TalkTalk for my broadband, thinking about upgrading to fibre but haven't done so yet as I may change provider in the next 12 months once my existing contract is up.

The router they provide is the DSL-2680 as standard, I wasn't getting a great signal on this so I went out and bought just a cheap one from Ebuyer for the time being (http://www.ebuyer.com/516779-on-networks-wireless-n300-adsl-modem-router-n300rm-199uks)

Signal is fine but I wondered if anyone could recommend the perfect router, I know by using the word 'perfect' this will come in for some questions asked, but what router do you use or what setup have you got in your home. The phone line is upstairs in the front small bedroom which has the router in, but with a conservatory at the back of the house it's struggling to get the connection or in the dining room.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Can you not use plugs to route the signal down on a wired connection? Or maybe place an additional unit downstairs somewhere of a plug to extend the signal?

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. shadowwebs

Coupe, do you mean for me to run an ethernet cable down through the floorboards for example and in to my dining room and then have an access point run off this to push the signal out again? I've currently got a powerline adapter in use for my YouView freeview box for catchup services but in the coming months that will all go when I replace the TV with a Smart TV with built in wifi.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

No I meant the plugs that you plug into your power sockets and route the connection down, then put another wireless ap or something on the end of it downstairs.

You can buy wireless extenders etc too which I see for sale a lot, but never used one so not sure how good they are etc.

5. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

I use a pair of cheap TP-LINK powerline ethernet adapters to extend my internet connection. Works great for me.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  6. shadowwebs

This is what i've got in my home at the moment also, have you then got a wifi AP running off one of these to extend your wifi?

7. rocdamike

No, I am using the powerline adapters just so that I can get a wired connection to my PC. However, like you said, you should definitely be able to connect up a wireless AP to the powerline adapter to extend the wireless signal.

8. shadowwebs

ok i'm with you on this one, so am I right in thinking that if I take a second router, connect it with an ethernet cable to a powerline adapter, set the ssid to the same as the main router and the same password, and then any device wanting to use the wifi will auto connect to the strongest connection. Just to point out that I will be using the DSL-2680 dlink router as the main router and then the onNetworks router as the AP.

9. rocdamike

I believe that should work. Unless someone knows better (haven't tried it myself :))

10. shadowwebs

okay, so I've just setup the onNetworks router as the modem/router, and then I've setup the dsl-2680 firstly with turning off dhcp and assigning it an IP in the range of the modem router. It's just not seeing the dsl-2680, so i'm guessing i've missed a step somewhere.

11. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

You can also get powerline adapters that have wi-fi extenders built in now which will extend your wi-fi network.

No idea if they are any good, but saves having to use a separate box hanging off the powerline adapter at the other end.

12. shadowwebs

thanks, I had a spare router in the house so makes sense to try and make use of it, just cannot see it still but will continue to try all evening and let you know once I get there.

13. shadowwebs

sorted, i've reserved the IP, connected to a powerline adapter and is broadcasting.

14. rocdamike

Nice!

15. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Cheap easy fix in the end then! lol.

Always a bonus.

16. shadowwebs

it's just dropped the connection and isn't seeing it anymore, plus it no longer wants to let me connect so I hit the reset button which has taken it back to factory settings, unfortunately this means a call to my ISP in the morning to find out the default password for the wifi connection and then I can setup again.

17. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Random! Hopefully once you get the password etc though will all be sorted.

18. shadowwebs

the AP was assigning itself an IP of 192.168.0.12, I set it to have 192.168.0.10 as a reserved IP address and listed it as being for an AP. I went on to the AP control panel and set it to this IP address, but then it just went offline, resetting made no difference. I may just go out and buy myself another one of those cheap OnNetworks routers and then at least both devices operate the same way and to be fair are easier to control through the control panel, but first I will give my ISP a ring tonight and get it reset.

19. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Will it not just work plug and play? Just connect together, let it pick up it's own address but then let it use it's own dhcp range for anyone connecting downstairs etc?

May not be quite as seamless when roaming, but should work ok like that shouldn't it??

20. shadowwebs

Yes this should work in principal, but I wanted to make sure they were both looking at the same dhcp range. the dsl-2680 was on a dhcp range of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 and the other router which is where the link is coming in through was on 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254, I turned off DHCP on the dsl-2680, and by hold I just had a brain wave that by me turning off dhcp, it's not going to work as an AP as it cannot provide any connections can it. There we go, I think I just figured it out by typing a few words. Unless i'm wrong?