ADSL - Monthly bandwidth allowance?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Jakamoko, May 19, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

As the day nears when my exchange gets ADSL-enabled, I'm investigating various different packages. So I've pretty much made up my mind on what I want/can afford, and am happy, but just want to ask you all one thing....

What do you reckon to a monthly bandwith allowance of 1 Gb ? I don't download much at all, and to be honest I ain't a big emailer either.

Is this a decent package (~£20 for 512k line, free hardware and activation) with that bandwidth allowance? Oh, did I forget to mention Tech Support is charged at Local Rate as well ?

Hmmm, lets see, I work for an ISP, doing Tech Support, charging 75p per minute.....:hhhmmm
    I think I know my answer already :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

um
    sounds a bit off
    i pay 23 a month for my package, granted i payed installation (2 years ago) but not activation
    tech is a local number also

1GB a month sounds rather small
    at full capacity (this is not taking into account line overheads, noise or anything, just the simple math) a 512k line can download 5.4GB per day

i mean granted u dont use much, but what if u decide you want too all of a sudden, or have a need to all of a sudden?

check out plusnet/force 9
    http://www.force9.net.uk or something like that

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

1GB a month, that wont last 5 min Gav. I know you say you don't download much. Neither did I till I got broadband. Think of the day when you decide to download a Linux distro but you have to wait till next month to finish it off. :cry:

I use plusnet and get a great service and have done for the past 18 months with no monthly allowance for the same cost. Personally I wouldn't go with any ISP that enforces an allowance but thats because sometimes I download full ISO's from the net and with that allowance I'd be stuffed

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cheers for the replies. I guess you're both right - 1Gb wont last at all. Oh well, bit more research required ..... :hhhmmm

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

nice one Si, didnt realise you used Plusnet :) I've used Force9 (same as Plus9) for about 3 years now :) no problems what so ever, can only remember my line going down once or twice lol

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There support can be a little poor unless you press them hard to speak to somebody higher but apart from that I not had much to complain about.

We used them from when they were force9 in my last job. The free domain name hosting and web-space package always comes in useful for testing the only downside is the unreliability of there cgi servers.

A friend works for them and was telling me the other week they plan to upgrade all the servers used for there web-space hosting so things should improve in the future.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

wow tbh i've only ever called there tech support once or twice to confirm theres an outage or if its just me, and i just test CGI stuff on my own server, so probably why ive never noticed probs :)

for the cost they reign supreme in my books, they were running 512/256 for under 25 quid long before anyone else

I think Bulldog are offering 2MB for 32 a month now
    shame im moving, if I cant get speakeasy im screwed :)
    (Speakeasy are a US ISP, they do 6mb/768 for 99 USD per month)

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I've decided I'm gonna look at a more "in-house" solution on this. That's going to be THE best deal around :wink: