ADSL Modem router

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by brent, Aug 24, 2003.

1. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Hi all,

After a bit of advice here. I'm on ADSL using a USB modem. Now I want to buy a Modem Router as my plans are to network the house and install a few RJ45 sockets in different rooms.

I was wondering if any of you have purchased one recently or have any recommendations.

Have looked at:
    NETGEAR ADSL USB/RJ-45 Modem/Router DM602

but to tell you the truth I dont have much of a clue what I'm looking at. :confused3 I only want 4 or 5 ports nothing more. Any help please.

2. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

Have a look at what Lynksys can offer as they are competitively priced. I've got a firewall router with 4-port switch built in and it seems to do the job. It was about £60.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  3. brent

brent Nibble Poster

the thing is AndyL:

Thanks for the pointer, anyone got a similar device that can advise?

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Brent

Being an old networking sort of guy why make it so complicated? I like to keep it simple.

Set up 1 machine to be the ICS or NAT to the router then buy a hub and run your network off that. You might need 2 network cards on the main machine.

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I agree with Sandy, It's the way I have my broadband connection shared on my network at home.

Andrew

Hang on I think i've just had an attack of de ja vu or else i've been in a time warp??????????????? :eek:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. brent

brent Nibble Poster

This is all good and well but this would mean spending alot more money than I have at the moment. Thats why I want to go with a modem/router combo. Can anyone give me some advice on this please! :(

7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Brent

I hear you! My last hub cost me £15 and I hear that normally the router on an ASDL line is supplied by the ISP. Unless you know otherwize :!:

8. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Yeah, I chose the self install option from my ISP, I also had the option to purchase by modem from them but found it £25 cheaper on the net. BT activated the line and I did all the rest, well with a few calls to my ISP. :tomato

I don’t want to leave a PC on all the time as I'm not on the net all that much, but when I am I like to use the laptop and sit in the living room on the sofa. I need a modem/router as with my current USB I have to swap and change it around and that means getting down under the desk in my study which is in the loft indecently.

I've been looking at this one http://www.usr.com/products/dsl/p-dsl-product.asp?sku=USR9001 but would like some views on any other similar product.