ADSL Modem/router choices - what do the IT pro's prefer ?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 14, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Just thought I'd start this little debate.

Not so much about specific models or features (wi-fi, VoIP etc.) but more about brands in general.

In the past I've supplied and found good Billion, Linksys, D-Link (less relaible I have to say) and Draytek.

I'm currently using an old Draytek Vigor 28000 (base model) and have just updated the firmware in conjunction with my ISP change (Zen advised some of the Vigor 28000's had issues with the Max adsl service).

So what do the rest of you prefer (not that I'm changing) ?

Anyone feel really strongly about their choice ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Since I have NTL/Virgin, I use DSL routers/switches... As for brand, I have to say that I do prefer Linksys :)

Have tried other's but they don't seem to last as long or be as powerful (unless I test a WAP from work at home).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. M1cha3l

M1cha3l New Member

I have a Belkin which I have had no problems with and it's easy to configure.

Some of my friends prefer Linksys which I have never tried.

WIP: Comptia A+
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I got a Cisco 877 in the House which comes in handy for practicing things on

Pros - Loads of features depending on what feature set you bought, solid and reliable.
    Cons - Pricey and OTT for most homes.

Or I suggest Netgear DG834GT to Be* users

Pros - Cheap as chips and loaded with the DGTeams custom firmware gives the max stats on Be*.
    Cons - Its a Netgear :D.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I have Be* and prefer to use their supplied Thomson router over my own netgear for one reason - port translation. If not for that I'd pick the netgear any day, the interface is just far superior. I've not tried the custom firmware you mention but I don't know off hand my exact netgear model. Hmph.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

The linksys stuff for home and Draytek for business.
    I recently took out a Virgin media service and was supplied with a Netgear WGR614. Not many features, but has worked perfectly since it was first switched on. Happy days!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Netgear for me, simply because it's what I've always had. I use the DG834G, and recommend Netgear to any home users I support.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I tend to recommend Netgear as I have always found them easy to set up and generally very good. I'm currently using a BT Modem/Router as it's chipset is matched up with DSLAM chipset in the exchange. I'm almost at the distance limit for ADSL and this modem has given me the best sync speeds of any I have tried thus far.

Have had a couple of D-Link's in the past and didn't like the web interface / features, but I do think they have improved of recent times (just not from a reliability point of view :) )

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I had a d-link unit (forget the model) which gave off an awful high pitched sound. never again!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Linksys. The WRT54G is the best home router ever built by an absolute country mile. Its not even the ability to flash it with third-party firmware, but the fact that I've used them on every home install I've ever done - going back five years - and not had a single hardware failure.

Other than that I've not used anything else made by a 'home' manufacturer for about eight years - though I do have a nice little 100Mb 'true' Netgear hub that I got a while back to replace my aging 10Mb one - that's been sat on the outside of my LAN sniffing traffic for my IDS without complaint for about ten months now.

The absolute pits for me are Belkin - pretty much all the problems I've had from home/small office jobs have been due to Belkin's inability to play nicely with anything other than other Belkin equipment.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

I have BE at home, got rid of the supplied router as it was rubbish and used a DG834GT, now I use a Draytek 2820 and have no issues at all and the DG834GT is now our wireless AP

At work we generally only sell Draytek's and Netgear Prosafe APs

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

At home Linksys, currently I'm using the WAG160N.

At work Draytek, Cisco and SonicWall.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I'd like to thank Sky for giving me a free Netgear DG834GT :)

However, I still use the Thomson, because it's a basic, solid little router that I haven't had any problems with. That, and it has screws for wall mounting, which the Netgear doesn't.

The Netgear is an awesome router though, I'll give you that.

Linysks WRT54G (and the other products in that range, e.g. WAP54G) are great too. I keep going to buy one but I can't make up my mind as to which version to get... :P