ADSL enabling

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by noelg24, Sep 1, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Jak, this one may be for you...I got a friend of mine to sign up for ADSL with my ISP last week...but the order has not yet gone thru...I rang the ISP and they told me it had something to do with the type of hardware in the exchange and that my friend will be on the IPSTREAM instead of DataStream for ADSL...and the order should be starting in about a couple of days and they are not sure how long it will take before she has ADSL...can you shed any light my armadillo friend as I know u work for an ISP yourself...thanks mate. :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

By the sounds of things, Noel, it would appear there is not enough capacity on the VP (Virtual Path) at the exchange. I believe under those circumstances, the ISP is effectively "hand-tied" till BT add in another VP to increase capacity.

FYI - IPstream ROCKS over Datastream :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

and how does that come to light? I always thought Datastream was better than IPstream as I have Datastream on my ADSL line and its good and I have only had one major problem which I happened to sort out....please elaborate more...*this would be good for my information database too*

thanks for the info tho mate...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, IPstream is generally less contended, even with the same 50:1 contention ratio on a comparable Datastream product. This is because IPstream uses BT's own network, not third-party hardware. Also, means fault resolution is quicker. Also, it is more robust, so has less downtime.

Finally, and possibly most importantly, IPstream is "migrate-able", ie you can easily transfer your ADSL from one ISP to another with minimal fuss. This is currently unavailable for Datastream products, although the industry is changing this so that you can migrate D/S as of March 2005.

Well, don't I sound like a smart-€rse today today ? :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity