ADSL Connectivity

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Roger, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger New Member

My problem is intermiitent Broadband connectivity. It works for a couple of hours and then kaput, blinking DSL light and no connection. A couple of days later it works again for an hour or so, then kaput.
    Swapped modems, filters, ISP provider, uninstalled and re-installed software, BT line has been tested and re-tested as no fault, used master socket only,tried different PC, all to no avail.

Aaaagh!...anyone have any bright ideas???

Roger
    (Desperate)

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

u sure everything has been checked? where do u live? is the area known for this broadband problem? and who was ur ISP before and who is the ISP now? also what modems were u using? we need more info here mate....kinda weird I think...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I suspect bad or old phone wiring inside the house - Noel, you'll confirm this, a BT line test stops at "the front door" doesn't it ? ie the line from the Exchange to your house, but not inside.

How old is your house roughly, Roger ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The only things you *didn't* mention were 1) to disconnect *every* other phone in the house and try the master socket on its own and 2) what happens when you use the BT test login.

If you want to get extreme over testing the internal wiring, then if you have a NTE5 master socket you can dis the rest of the house and try there. (I didn't say that - you aren't supposed to use the BT side of that unit!)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just some thoughts.

Could something else be interfering with the ADSL? Overhead power lines, nearby TV or radio transmitter. Neighbour that is a HAM radio enthusiast. other appliances?

Line tests don't always show up all faults. Having had many an issue with fax machines in the past, line tests often showed everything as being fine when they were not. I don't know if BT guarantee their lines for data these days, it used to be that they only guaranteed voice.

Once you have established that nothing nearby is generating excessive interference and by the sound of it, you have changed everything except the copper wires to and inside your house, the problem must lie with those.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Roger,

Does your modem/router display line noise? Example below:

noise margin downstream 13db Low is bad
    output power upstream 11db
    attenuation downstream 56db Noise on line High is bad

I had a customer who had intermittent problems like you. It is also worth bearing in mind that some equipment will ride noise better than others....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Do you have your adsl modem and phone plugged into the same socket? If so try them on separate sockets with a filter on at least one of them.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yes Jak, that right...I am surprised that even BT themself didnt somehow get this checked. Roger have you contacted BT and got an engineer out? I know you maybe thinking it would cost you if there was nothing found but if thats the case check the wiring inside your house yourself but dont do any damage yourself! Cos when BT do a line test they will say no your line is fine, however with some tests we can tell if there is a problem inside the house. So check all wiring, all phones (including digital ones!), and if u have a master socket that has a test socket inside it try that for a bit and see if the connection is fine...if it is then your line outside is ok, then it means something inside is the problem...

9. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  10. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

You can test the internal wiring by removing the two screws on your main socket and removing the face plate. This will only work on newer type sockets (The one with the split across the middle). Now plug your splitter and modem directly into the test connector on the right hand side.

If it still dont work, then moan at BT to check the exchange itself.

Neall

WIP: A+
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

is it me or has anyone noticed that he hasnt been back to check out what we have suggested? :dry

12. Roger

Roger New Member

Thanks to all who replied with various suggestions....been in Scotland.
    Problem now resolved with BT (finally) admiting there was a parity matching error (?). Sounds like bull**** to me but I'm back in business.
    Roger
    (No longer desperate)

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

LOL !!! The classic BT response !!!!! They are legendary for a wide variety of these responses - all of which mean the engineer down the exchange accidentally dropped his bacon butty down the back of the wiring cabinet and forgot to get it back out. Absolute genius !!! Eh Noel ? :tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ah top notch...classic indeed Jak...the amount of times I had to explain to customers about how its possible the engineers can make such mistakes...what we called "fat fingers syndrome" haha...glad its all sorted mate...

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Classic, Noel, Classic :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT