adobe stuff

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by zxspectrum, Jul 20, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Possibly not the place to put this but i cant think of anywahere else

Basically im doing an online course and i need the documents to come down in word (RTF). But they come donw in adobe and when i try to convert them to rtf from pdf, i get a load of garbage thats uinreadable.

Any ideas people

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Because PDF is a layout system, which Word really isn't, there will always be problems trying to convert in that direction.

How are you trying to do the conversion?

If the course providers don't offer RTF then what is the problem with PDFs? Unless they are locked you can still read them and print them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You could always buy acrobat? :rolleyes:

4. zxspectrum

right sorry guys but ive led you astray here, sorry

Basically i have to find an article to do a short summary essay on, and ive chosen a piece by jay shaw who goes on about servers etc and the need for good houskeeping. Now this is where i have the trouble, ill download it into adobe , but then i cant convert that file to RTF, then when i dowload it and use word as the program i get a load of options of what style id like to open it in, ie western european etc , but then this just gives me a page of scripting text ???

I need to be able to have the file in RTF as i have to upload it to my tutor an show her where im coming from and what my essay is referring too?

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

where do you upload the file to? Can't you simply upload the PDF? :blink

6. hbroomhall

Best way is to download the PDF and open it in Acrobat Reader. Then cut'n'paste the text into word.

Don't forget to include attribution!

Harry.

7. zxspectrum

ill try that Harry but id want it to look like the article that it is, if that makes any sense.

SGUK i thought i wasnt able to as they were stressing that document needed to be in rtf format etc, but im just aboput to mail her now for clarification cheers

8. hbroomhall

You could always embed the original in the Word doc that comprises the essay!

That way your essay is in Word format, and the original is there as well.

(Although - without trying it - I'm not certain that the RTF format allows embedded docs)

Harry.

9. zxspectrum

well cheers for the help guys but luck is on my side. The tutor eventually got back to me and said shed get adobe on her com and go about it from there, quite nice of her really.