Admin account

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Got a laptop (XP SP2 DELL) and its infected with spyware and viruses, but i haven't had a proper look into it yet (just cant be arsed), but one thing i did notice is the admin (default) account.

It seems that i cannot view other users my docs folder (their admin aswell), which i thought was strange, as my understanding was admins are able to make and view and do what system wide...

Perhaps this is due to the virus's / spyware crap thats on the machine?

Is that right?

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, could also be that someone has re-named the administrator account to something else and created an account called admin without administrator privileges. This is a technique some people use to confuse potential hackers.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

the Admin account is actually the Administrator account... I just abbreviated it... sorry...

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you click on the "Make this folder private" box surely this will have this effect?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Administrators have the power to do what they need to do but that is not the same as being able to view files which they do not have rights to access. Unless they take ownership.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheek,

Can't really add anything that hasn't been said. Don't forget there is local, GPO's and encryption to take in to account.

Si (feeling in a multiple question thinking mood after today's 270)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT