Adding attributes for computer accounts - adsiedit?

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by steveh2001, Sep 25, 2008.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hi guys

Quick question - we've got a list of computer names and asset tags which we want to incorporate into AD. I made a script using for /f and dsquery/mod which reads from a .csv and adds the asset tag to the appropriate computername as the computer account description and this works fine. However unfortunatly our AD boss's need to use the description attribute for something else so we cant use it :(

What i've seen before and I think is possible is to create a custom attribute for a computer account, e.g. "asset tag" and just adjust the script accordingly... I think it might be possible with adsiedit.msc - but dont want to dick around and break something :D

Any idea if this is possible and if so any rough ideas how to go about it?

Thanks for any advice

Steve

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

It is possible, although I dont know how. I do know that you need to do it in your root domain, and I believe that you need to be an Enterprise Admin to make the change.

Perhaps this might help.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My advice - don't do it. You'll need to extend the schema to achieve what you want to do.

I have never - repeat never - seen the schema extended without problems arising by anyone who wasn't extremely competent with ADSIEdit, well-versed in Active Directory and with years of experience in similar projects.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Don't know but am interested in the answer :)

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  5. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thanks for your input guys - think i will stear clear of this course of action and find an alternative as it is well out of my knowledge base!

What I have read is that a computer account has all the properties a user account has e.g. last name/first name so I might try and populate the last name as that wouldnt be used for anything else.

Cheers

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

It can be done and you need to be a schema administrator. The technic is even trained in the AD course for windows 2000 (course 2154).
    First you'll need to make the schema available. You do this with: regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll
    Now you can open the schema using mmc.
    After creating a new attribute and adding it to the computer class, you could fill the new field using adsiedit.
    Your done.
    This is in very short wording, but be sure you know what you are doing.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP