Adding a Windows 2008 Server as a DC to an existing domain

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Sep 17, 2007.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have an existing 2003 domain setup and running at the minute. It's mode is configured as Windows 2003, and the existing DC runs SP2.

I now want to add a 2008 server (already a member) as a DC so I opted to go through the add role wizard and selected Active Directory Domain Services. Now after getting so far through the process I get an error saying that I need to run adprep /domainprep before I can install it.

Is there a need to run this to join the 2008 server as a DC? If so where the heck is the updated Adprep stored?

:blink

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I was actually going to do just this very thing this weekend but never had the time.

I'd imagine that it extends the Schema with a load of 2K8-specific attributes, which is the reason for needing to run ForestPrep/DomainPrep.

I'd also imagine that the stuff it needs to do this is all bolted on to the install - so you should be able to run it from a run dialog or command prompt within 2K8

EDIT: Just found this link - looks like you need to run ADPrep from a 2K3 server in your forest first

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks Zeb,

I thought as much, but since I didn't have the .iso for 2008 server handy I couldn't do it. I'll try again tomorrow! 8)

4. akbello

akbello New Member

hi there.
    had the same problem but i found that the solution was to run the adprep /forestprep and domainprep on the w2k3 server with the 2008 cd or dvd running on it.
    do not run the adprep on the 2008 server but on the 2003 server. and make sure the installation cd is up cos it runs from there.
    holla back if u succeed.
    ciao.

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks for that akbello. I tried this a few weeks ago and it all worked well.

I have since trashed that test domain! :biggrin

6. Shawndup

Shawndup New Member

Hi All,

I followed the instructions for upgrading a DC to Win 2008 but I ran into a problem when I came to the DCPROMO steps.

I get an error stating the following.

"You will not be able to install a writable replica domain controller at this time because the RID master <DomainName> is offline"

I tried to google this for any help but did not find any info.

Any help will be appriciated.

Regards,
    Shawn

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :) Be a part of this community and introduce yourself here. You may also want to start a new thread next time as this one is about 2 years old.

First of all find out what DC is your RID master:

To finding out your RID Master via the GUI interface:

1.Open the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in from the Administrative Tools folder.

2.Right-click your domain icon and select Operation Masters.

3.Select the appropriate tab (in your case RID) for the role you wish to view.

4.When you're done click Close.

See if that server is up and running in your domain, if it is, then there is some issue on that server or in AD itself. If that server is no longer active (eg decommisioned) then seize that role from another DC.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security