Add disclaimer to outbound email..........

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Stoney, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I've been asked to look into 'adding a disclaimer' to our company email. We are currently using Exchange server 2003.

I know that it can be done using Visual Basic, but I was just wondering what you guys use and if you can recommend any good pieces of software that will do the trick as well.

As always, any info greatly appreciated :)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Stoney

Are you using a smart host/front end server or an anti-spam gateway?

If not, then you'll definitely need to buy something

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Nope, nope, nope-diddy nope-nope!

Bog standard Exchange box sat behind a firewall. No proxy, gateway, or front end server involved.

I was just reading a review of various pieces of software on msexchange.org and there seems to be a few products available. I think if we are going to buy something then we should try and incorporate some anti-spammage in there as well.

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We have all of our mail routed through an anti-spam company, in Leeds I think Linky

They also take care of the disclaimers and stuff. you can change it from their default setting to anything you want it to be.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Gateway time!

If you're starting to look at stuff like this, then I seriously suggest that you buy a small front-end mail transport appliance. What sort of money have you got? I could make some suggestions...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Get the trial of GFI Mailessentials. It is a spam filter but it includes disclaimer functionality. After the trial expires the disclaimer will still work. I have run into some problems with having Exchange, GFI, and SAVCE for Exchange all running on the same box in the past, but newer versions may not have the issue.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Thanks AJ. I'll take a look into that.

Yes, please do. Not sure on money tho. We have just been given an IT budget for the first time (!) but my manager is away at the mo. The good, well not good but positive, thing is that the directors are starting to receive lots of SPAM. Therefore they will be more inclined to hand over some dosh to finance a robust mail solution.

We are trialling a hosted mail solution using Zimbra, which may dictate how we proceed with this.

What's involved in a gateway? Another Exchange box or dedicated piece of hardware?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that as well.

8. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

You could also look into MS Hosted Exchange service. There are different options available. the filtering option includes Spam and virus filtering. You can also configure disclaimers.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  9. Ossian

Ossian Bit Poster

Probably resurrecting a dead thread, but its also worth looking at Policy Patrol, which has (in various versions) functionality for
    Disclaimers
    Corporate Signatures
    Anti-Spam
    AV
    Archiving

Tom

Certifications: MCT, MCSE/A, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP, Sec+
    WIP: Not sure....
  10. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

I'd add exclaimer. Works well