AD missing from the only DC in a domain - help!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:D Actually it's not as bad as the title suggests!

I'm having a go at some DR scenarios and have taken a system state backup of a non FSMO role holding DC.

In a TOTALLY ISOLATED environment I've built a new DC with the same hardware as the one that's been backed up.

The aim here is to pretend that we've had an awful :shocked disaster and have to build our domain from this back-up.

...so I ran ntbackup and restored the system state to the disk - following this guide (with reference to this)

When you restart the new DC it asks you to login with domain credentials and all looks okay, except you can't see AD via the start menu. If I add it via mmc it's all there and has all the containers etc it needs.

Please could someone advise what's gone wrong (If anything) - probably something really simple, but I haven't had any caffeine yet today!

I'd rather get this smoothed out before trying to seize FSMO roles and continuing to build the DR domain
    in order to test some other scenarios!

Thanks,

Lee

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Sorted! I went through this again - twice and it worked both times. All I can think is that the restore used for both disk and systemstate was very similarly named to the one that was just for systemstate and I'd originally chosen the wrong one.

Will come up with a better naming scheme in the DR documentation - imagine the panic if this was a real situation and that happened!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Well done for troubleshooting. As you say, better learn now then an actual disaster :D

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010