AD LDS, RMS and FS in real world

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Nyx, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Currently revising (again!) for 70-640 as I failed it last week. Been wondering if those services are actually used much? I can see FS being useful, others not really - does anyone have real world experience with those?

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Unfortunately not. I'm currently studying for this too though. How did you find the exam? What study materials are you using?

3. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Found it quite hard, however some questions were straightforward. I've foolishly thought I'll give the exam a go when I needed to brush up on AD and started watching Pluralsight videos for this exam. I can confirm this is not enough ;) Unfortunately I don't have the official books or any proper material, just reading random stuff on Technet, blogs etc.

Will try again next week - bought the MS booster pack so have 4 retakes, not really stressing if I fail again. Will probably get the book though.

4. Pseudonym

Yeah I watched the pluralsights first, and now I'm working my way through the book. Going to buy the booster pack too, so hopefully it'll be enough. Did you get the pack with measureup exams included? I found one on ebay for £186 with 180 day access to those too. I usually go with transcender but that seems like too much of a good deal. Did you lab whilst watching the pluralsights? D'you have any other MS certs? Mind me asking what your score was?

5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Didn't get the practice exam, thought I'd rather try the real one a couple of times, couldn't stretch to spending more money. Hoped it would be an easy pass ;) Didn't lab with the videos, used work network for reference - most of the labs were very simple, you'd need to lab a lot more than just following the videos. In hindsight it would be useful to lab on CS, FS, RMS... I've not done any MS certs since 2011 (mcdst). Scored 636. Not feeling very confident...

6. Pseudonym

636 isn't a bad score considering! Yeah the books are a bit more extensive in terms of the labs, and they have suggested practices at the end too which look like they're worth going through. From what I can gather CS isn't covered as much as it probably should be in any of the training materials. It's 15% of the exam and it's got like an hour of video and a relatively short chapter in the book.

7. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Passed with 733, pretty sure got lucky with few q's.Now onto 642 and 646, hoping they'll go on the first go. My Pluralsight sub expires in less than two weeks...

Good luck!

8. Pseudonym

Well done mate. I'm booked in for my first attempt July 1st. Not particularly confident but best just to go for it, especially with 4 retries. Good luck with 642. I've heard people seem to have less trouble with it than the 640.