AD + DC Take Two

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i was thinking along those line (honest), but the prob comes into play as soon as i go into work and start faffing around on my virtual machines... then what happens to my DNS settings, as these are diff to what they would be at home...

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you have a virtual server and virtual client on the same laptop?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mr.Cheeks

yes yes, and its the same laptop on using when im at home and at work...

4. Sparky

Install the looback adaptor, it will keep your virtual network off your real network. (see MS link)

If you dont install it disable DHCP on your server and give the client a static I.P. Everything should still work but your gatway I.P will be different so there wont be any internet access from your virtual network unless you change the I.Ps.

Also your domain will appear in 'My Network Places' so make sure your I.T guys are cool with that 8)

link
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839013
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/ar...l-Microsoft-Loopback-adapter-Windows-XP.html

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

...and is there any alternative than installing a loopback adapter, or would it just be easier just to play with these particalar virtual machines at home, so i can mess about with my settings instead?

6. Sparky

I would install the loopback adapter, a guy at my work installed it and it seems to work ok. I couldnt even ping the I.P of the virtual server from my laptop. 8)

7. Mr.Cheeks

Sparky - i dont know whether you realised yet, im just a tight ass! i dont wanna buy one just for a this, if at work they have one and let me use it for the time being (doubt it), then i go down that route...

8. Mr.Cheeks

just realised, i wont be able to use this as;

Whilst i am at work, i should be doing work...

edit: DOOOOH!

Loopback adapter is network adapter which is acting as a virtual adapter and is software not hardware (in my case)...

hmmmm, now things seems to be getting better....

edit2: am i to install this on one machine or both?

9. Mr.Cheeks

ok, loopback installed... according to the screensdumps on the ms site, it seems to have installed ok...

but with the adapter, i dont have a DNS server address, so how the hell do i connect to this machine using my other machine?

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

By IP address instead of the FQDN - All DNS does is resolve FQDNs tp their relevant IP, so if you know the IP your laughing :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Mr.Cheeks

got lost on win 2000, i tried joining XP to it and got this message;

Code:
    Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain cheeks.ad:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.cheeks.ad

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

cheeks.ad
    ad
    . (the root zone)

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Does your XP client, in it's TCP/IP properties, have your DNS servers IP addy as it's primary DNS server?

13. Mr.Cheeks

if you mean the ip address of my server machine is in the DNS perferred on my XP machine then yes, if not then "expand" please

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes that is what I meant, good.

Now is your server pointing to itself for DNS (look in *it's* TCP/IP properties). It needs to register itself in DNS. Then it should create those SRV DNS entries as mentioned in the above error.

15. Mr.Cheeks

how do i get it to point to itself.

its ip address is 169.254.25.129

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

TCM you have gotta start reading some books mate!

That is an APIPA address, it's set to use DHCP and it's a server which is a no no.

Give it a fixed IP mate.

17. Mr.Cheeks

....but thats what the loopback adapter gave me...

i thought this was meant to be a simply wizardy job, on both ends...

18. Sparky

You have to give your server a static I.P. You will get a 169 address if you enable DHCP on your LAN connection and plug it into a network without a DHCP source (unless you reconfigure the alternate config on the LAN connection.) 8)

19. Mr.Cheeks

hmmm, i think i should put this one aside for abit... i'll come back with take III soon, after like a week once i understand all of this new meanings and stuff...

Anyhows, cheers people...

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cheeks, IMHO you are trying to run before you have fully mastered walking. Nobody says networking is easy, in fact it can be very frustrating and confusing even for experienced certified people. a few years ago, I had a signature that read *nothing ever works* and at the time that was true but even nowadays things can go belly up quite often for me. I often ponder the idea that the only difference between me (a certified trouble/shooter/maker) and the neighbours clued up kid, is that I have an unending amount of patience and the perspicacity to endure and see things through to the end. I never give up.

So, I learn more because I delve deeper than most people and I put the effort into trying to understand the underlying concepts. You on the other hand (and I am not being nasty honest) jump in at the deep end and then wonder why it wont work and post here asking us. To be honest it is very difficult to help you at the moment, because you don't have a sufficient grasp of the techniques or the technology or the terminology. That is why I said you should read some books. I really think that before you start trying to design your first Active Directory forest, you should have a solid understanding of TCP/IP especially the DNS element and DHCP. Also knowledge of the products that you are attempting to configure!

Your time would would be much better spent reading a decent book. The one I use is Windows 2000 TCP/IP Black Book by my old Scottish cyber friend Ian McLean. It's a tad out of date but it serves me well. Really you can't just blag your way through networking and configuring servers, it's a skill which needs to be properly learnt, like playing an instrument. It will come with study, tuition, patience and time.

Good luck bro. I will always try to help regardless of whether you take any of my advice :D