actualtests

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by OceanPacific, Mar 20, 2008.

1. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

A guy I work with who was recently hired was telling me about his certs. He says he has both his A+ and his N+. Im getting ready to take my N+, and im quite nervous about passing it, so I asked him for advice. He said h e used a site called actualtests.com. I knew this sounded like a braindump, and turns out it is infact a braindump.

He told me that his professor at the school he went to actually printed the exams up from this site and handed them out to everyone in the class.

Shocking! Your thoughts?

WIP: N+, A+
  2. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Not shocking, unfortunately. I once lost a training contract after being ordered to distribute dumps to my students and telling the training centre owner where he could stick his dumps.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  3. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Well this leaves me with a sour taste in mouth! Considering how hard I worked on my MCSA and I didnt pass it, but people out there use these "dumps" and pass, but they get the same job, and usually get better pay.

It just really isnt right!:x

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

unfortuantely it happens, I remember a poster a whileback say they were doing practice tests at their training centre and the practice tests were TestKing BDs.

Some people have no integrity and some training centres that do this sort of thing probably get some sort of funding which increases on the amount of students that pass, so they will give the students BDs so they can gaurantee their funding.

A mate of mine who did the ECDL actually had the tutor sit next to him and give him the answers during his exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, that happens far too often.

Have you told your co-worker that it's a braindump (and possibly, the definition of what braindumps are and how they are harmful)? If he's got a shred of integrity, he'll not use them again, and if he's of noble character, he'll report the testing center.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Yeah, I did. He didnt care.:dry

7. BosonMichael

Sounds like that's a co-worker with whom I'd not have a very good relationship. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It give us (lecturers and trainers) a bad taste in our mouth. One of my students told me that on one of the boot camps he went on his was given a short course that lasted a couple of days and then given braindumps to study for the rest of the time. He walked out & tried to get his money back without success.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I belive that any person or institution that thinks it's okay to use illegal material to pass exams, and actively distributes them or encourages people to use them, are the scurge of our industry. They should be reported and stripped of their ill gotten certifications and accreditations. For example, they have completely devalued the status of MCSE. Even i open the paper and see adverts from local IT companys, with MCSE spattered left right and centre and think, i doubt they got that legitimately. They probably think the same thing when they parse my add. :x

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You are right when people cheat they devalue whatever they've cheated on and sometime its as if they are getting the jobs and pushing the people who have studied properly out of the way. Which is really unfair.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. BosonMichael

You want to know why companies don't hire people with certifications and no experience anymore? Braindumping is a huge factor. People who memorize a bunch of questions and answers and pass an exam, but can't actually DO the job, have ruined the value that certifications once held.

If there weren't such a thing as braindumping, I'd be much more open to hiring someone who passed a certification exam, but had no experience. At least I would know that they studied all the concepts and likely understand them... instead of just regurgitating a bunch of "right answers". Unfortunately, if there's a way to cheat on an exam, someone will find a way to do so... particularly when there's money involved. It's a shame, really.

12. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I don't see way they get payed better. Most of the time they will be uncovered as having no knowledge. Most companies will sack someone who has no knowledge, just a piece of paper and nothing to back it up.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I know someone (I'll start a thread later to relate the full story) that used braindumps and has a decent position. He hasn't told anyone of his 'training' methods, but mentioned it to me becuase I was reviewing CCNP books.

Now he's wondering why so many of his peers aren't communicating with him. :dry He's getting his money, but how long will he keep his job? He's already lost his peers respect!

14. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Not if they can't do what they're being paid to do. Farenheit 451, baby. The best way to burn a paper tech is trial by fire.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  15. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

The boot camp and braindump method may get these folks certs, but they wont last long in the work place. IT is such a vast subject, the knowledge you gain through studying and experience has to applied in so many different ways, other techs can spot a ‘fake’ a mile off. The sort of guy that uses all the wrong terminology, misses simple things like setting up shares on server 2003 with the default permissions, then wonders why he cant copy any data onto the drive (saw this only two weeks ago, had to point out share permissions are read only until you change them). I know that I have done all my certs properly, unfortunately there are always folks that want to cut corners and do things the easy way.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  16. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Unfortunately it costs money to prove someone obtained their certifications illegally. Depending on who you talk to when you call to report someone will determine what (if anything) gets done about it.

That would make a great signature line.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  17. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

That's a start.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  18. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

:daz make me think is it all worth it! They have a job as they cheated and got there MCP's & I don't have a job
    as spending so much time try to learn the matter!

hope they fall on face when they get real question in the work place

19. BosonMichael

Sure...

...but over the long run, who is more likely to succeed?

20. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

I say it is worth it if you really, truly love what you do, to get your certifications, even if it just helps you land that first IT job to get your foot in the door. After that your experience will pick up the rest of the way.

But yeah, Trial by Fire works when you have a company who really cares, but mine wont even reimburse me for my certs.:(