active directory experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by steve_p1981, Jan 21, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

Hi guys,
    I'm looking at getting into the IT industry and want to start at the bottom doing a 1st line desktop support role. My problem is that on most of the jobs that i have the abilities for, they want experience with active directory. Having never worked in the industry how am i supposed to get this experience, and does the n+ course cover active directory? I ask as i'm only really applying for junior / trainee roles but they still want me to know how to administer in this software. HELP!!!!!! :-)

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Generally first line will probably reset passwords and maybe change details, good places will create MMC consoles for this, better places will create a script which resets the password and unlocks the account (Like here) so any member of the IT team (and privilidged outsiders) can reset and unlock accounts.

My advice would be to create a virtual machine, install a windows server 2003 trial, run dcpromo from the command line, install using the wizard and have a play while reading up on the internet (Technet is a good place).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree with kevicho, set yourself up a little lab with a DC and a client or two and go mad.

For a first 1st line role you won't be expected to know much I imagine, so if you get use to the layout and appearance of AD you'll probably be fine. I didnt have any experience of AD before I go into 1st Line support 4-5 years ago, but its pretty easy to pickup and run with, you'll be fine.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Hi steve,

I never knew anything about Active Directory before working as an IT Techie. Most companies would already have the entire setup in place so as long as you don't need to write the policies then it is easy enough to understand.

Perhaps you could just have a look for some online videos (youtube would be a great resource) and during the interview let them know you haven't worked with it, but you have researched using it.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

The N+ doesn't cover AD.

1st line AD use will involve resetting passwords and maybe add/remove users. This is very basic and simple stuff and I wouldn't worry about it. You can learn this quickly on the job as i did at a previous role. As mentioned install 2003 on a virtual machine and gain experience that way as this will be more advanced than what you are likely to do on the job. When you are comfortable you can then install exchange to play with that.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM