ACT - Sage

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Jan 22, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok i dont know why i do this to myself, having learnt enough execl to teach basics course on it, i'v now said yes to learning ACT! by sage.
    So while i'm busy googling away for tutorials, have you guys ever used this software? If so what for? and can you recommend any good websites for toutorials for this?

Glutton for punishment? hell yes! looks like after this i may have to learn Sage itself, followed by 3 or 4 other pieces of software ranging from Photoshop (already have head start here) to Falsh, and PHP / CSS and Scud files (Scud??)

This is what i get for speaking up saying i'mbored! and yet the company wont pay for training and pay rises may be on hold this year!

Why oh Why oh Why meeeeeeeeee???

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I support both ACT! and Sage Accounts at work. Don't mind Sage Accounts. Absolutely hate ACT!.
    But then again I also support Goldmine and I hate it even more. It has to be something with those CRM systems that put me off.

As to your question what do we use it for.
    To store customer details, contact history (calls, emails, letters), potential customers, campaigns, prospects and everything sales related really. We use it to print purchase orders, letters, requests for payments, send christmas wishes and so on.

What I've noticed is that year by year all Sage software becomes less and less intuitive. We've been forced to upgrade Sage Accounts from version 11 to 2009 version because of compatibility problems (not compatible with Vista,2008 and later). And belive you me, interface changes every year to something totally different than year before.
    While this is somewhat fine by me. All the others need to be trained again and again (because customers button isnt where it was before). Oh god.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with all of that studying :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Havent worked with Goldmine in years! :biggrin

I have the same conversations with Sage support every year.

Me: Sage is running slow.
    Sage: Its your network.
    Me: But.....
    Sage: Thanks for calling, bye.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

When I support Sage, Goldmine & ACT!

The first thing I ask, is have you got any support? If they say no, sorry I can't help.

Happy days :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

2 days ago I spent whole evening trying to figure out why checking data freezes on bank accounts and cpu usage spikes to 98%. Tried reindexing data, compressing data and it didn't help.
    Ended up backing up data, restoring them instantly and reindexing tables after. Finally check has gone through with some errors. Quick call to financial manager to go through errors before everyone starts in the morning and I could finally finish a working day. 10pm :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm afraid I ditched Act! 'cos I just couldn't get on with it. Used SBS from my MS Partner stuff and switched to MS CRM :p

Then business went bust !

(Hmmn, I wonder if there's any connection there .... :p)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Remind me not to ask you to help with our CRM... Buisness is bad enough as it is! :p

As for everyone else, thansk for teh advice guys... i think :dry

I tried loading ACt today on a VM pc but didnt have XP Sp2 installed or enough memory. Ah well its the weekend now so time to relax. back to it all on Monday....

9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OK finnaly got teh ACT 2010 Premium for Web installed on my laptop at work yesterday. But with only an hour of the day left, didint get time to look at it in depth.

What i can see is, that it looks over complicated in its views. These i hoep can be trimmed to show only teh info i want. But also it seems liek it may not do what teh companies expecting it to do. What the boss wants is something to replace our old support system, this we us to log customer details, all thier support calls and issues, thier support renewal dates etc. It also has a serial number generator, and can print out or reg cards.

Looking at ACT! i think it will log support calls, but dosnet seem to display them by USER and Incompleted calls, just shows them under each individual custoomer. Can it do CRM in this way? if not, what do others here use as thier support records or CRM?

I'm still going to play with this, as i've only just brushed the surface. But any tips etc always welcome. (except those that say do not use or run and hide lol)

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Nothing to do with the OP but I've always found the guys over at SageForum very knowledgeable and friendly, could be some usefull info over there :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks thomas for that link, however i cant see anywhere to sign up.

12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

EDIt to Above -

found the signup link! was hidden in eth banner (which i thought was just an advertisement! :oops: )

Thanks again TM will look here once activated.

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

No problem

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)