ACER - verifying DMI Pool Data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leehaa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Anyone know why this may be?

Long story short: Colleague in our software support dept was trying to sort out a software issue for a customer...It was running extremely slowly after they had installed some new software....she told him to switch off the Vistauser account control and as soon as this happened there was a black screen. The PC crashed and now when it is booted up it gets:

'verifying DMI Pool Data'

...my first thought was is there a cd in disk drive...and there sure was...now when he goes to boot it is slightly different (gets a bit further)...but then the error occurs again

Not sure where boot menu is (it's not coming up from F12)

Also, I have an ACER laptop next to me so been trying to trouble shoot via that...noticed that to get to last good known config, you have to press F7...then go advanced via F8 (not just F8 )

...but we tried to get customer to do F7 and, although he keeps powering off, then repeatedly pressing, he just gets the verifying message...if he leaves it alone, it just goes to the same message too...

Can't get into BIOS

Is a desktop - Acer Power Series (but he doesn't have any model / tag no / serial no details)

Any ideas?

Client V. Irate :eek:

Cheers...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Verifying dmi pool data means one of the following:-

1. Corrupt boot files on the computer.
    2. Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
    3. Floppy diskette or CD in computer causing issue.
    4. Boot devices not set properly.
    5. BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
    6. Connections loose or disconnected.
    7. Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.

• Check there's no CDs/Floppies in the PC.
    • Check the connections on the computer with regards to HDDs, Floppy.
    • Check the BIOS (when you eventually get into it) to make sure the boot order is set correctly and that the devices are listed in the BIOS ok.

If all that fails then boot to the XP disc and do a repair of your boot files through recovery console.

Let us know. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you for that (de ja vous :biggrin)

This one was a bit hard as originally I was trying to talk to the customer via colleague (who was on the phone to customer) and customer is located about 50+ miles away.

...I called the customer back and we managed to get it to boot off Vista disk and then he said that one of their own engineers was there to see him...so I have left it with them and am waiting for him to get back to my colleague (would love to help a bit more feel I can't really intervene too much as I'm not in colleague's department - plus she's only supposed to be offering support on our own software)...

Will let you know the outcome

4. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I have an Acer knocking around at home. I had a similar issue and as silly as it sounds you have to enable the boot menu in the bios before it can be accessed!!!! This may not be for all models so this info is just in case.

Had me pulling my already dwindling hair out a while back. Cant remember what the bios/setup button is though. Maybe f2 or delete or one of the usuals

Whatever the outcome good luck

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

cheers for that skulkerboyo! :beers2

6. skulkerboyo

Oooh did it help

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Yes and no. Not for the issue posted on here unfortunately, but I am prepping an Acer laptop at the moment so going to enable it on that now so it's ready for future needs!

8. skulkerboyo

Cool:biggrin

9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Got some vague feedback on this one via colleague. They had told her that apparently it was fixed...and it was nothing to do with our software (just coincidental)...

I called them back just now to check what the issue was (as curious), but the man I need to talk to is off today so will bug him next week for the solution :twisted:

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

The outcome with this was that they flattened it...so I guess we will never know what the problem was.

I don't blame them though - sounds like they did spend a while trying to sort it before they made that decision.

11. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I had a similar problem here with one of our machines. Could not get the thing to boot on whatever. Could not get into the Bios either. It happened after a Bios upgrade. (did it to 20 other machines without a glitsh).
    Had to get it back to our hardware supplier.
    BTW, it was an Acer M8

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP