Acer Aspire problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Johnd76, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi folks,

My mate has given me his computer to have a look at for him (Acer Aspire 4315).

On start-up he gets the windows error recovery screen, so the 2 choices are Launch startup repair or start windows normally.

whatever one i select i just get a blank screen! :(

does anyone have any ideas, forgot to mention that he has no disks for the computer

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Keep whacking ALT+F10 or CTRL+F10 during the initial boot (around the DMI pool bit) ;)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

An update on the problem, i left the computer running and after about half an hour the mouse curser appears, nothing else does tho.

4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply..

did both od what you suggested but to no avail, the windows error screen didn't come up but still nothing on the screen :dry

5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Just to clarify, this is to access your protected recovery partition to do a restore(you should be hitting those keys when you press the power switch), I've got an Acer in the house so if you give me an hour I will test it once i get home.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Vista or XP?

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  7. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Have you tested the hard drive? Premature hard disk failure is common with Acer notebooks. Lousy cooling design - the poor things cook themselves to death.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Sorry for not replying sooner, my internet is on the blink!!!

He has Vista Basic on his machine, he forgot to inform me that he had lost at some poker game and gave it a BASH, BANG, WHOLLOP!!!! :rolleyes:

If you wana break it that should do the trick!!

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its an Acer it would brake anyway :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. mphilip876

mphilip876 New Member

I guess you should take your Laptop for some Computer Repair Service that can give you fast reliable service. And moreover what you can do is download some recovery software from the internet. Hope it will work you out....

11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Why would he want to go and fork out 50 quid an hour for some geezer to fix it for him, when he is surrounded by people who probably work on said help desks.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well if he gave it a whck, give him a whack, see how he likes it, maybe he could of slightly dislodged his ram or some other component, but you wont know that till you take it apart. Im assuming its a laptop so you need to be really careful in doing this. Also hes giving you bits and bobs on the story so what i do in this case is tell them to take it to someone else, not because im lazy but because when your halfway though trying to fix it and going down a certain path, hell probably tell you something else that will have undone your hard work.

Another thing and this may sound arsey, fixing your mates comps, is a thankless task and if it goes tits up you get all the flak. I get sick of people taking the piss out of me when it comes to fiing things, ill get a text out of the blue and people literally expect me to drop everything to sort their com probs out. Now i tell them to take it to the tech guys at pc world and let them pay for a far worse servce.

Sorry to rant

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  13. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I had noticed this, and bearing in mind you work in IT full time, they still sit there telling you not to break it and what are you doing, dont do that etc etc.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

The problem was sorted, the hard drive was the problem, all working again! but for how long!!

15. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

If your mate is worried it may be worth getting a new drive and copying the data across, if he is not that worried advice him to back up all of his data (photos, documents music - all the personal stuff) and to keep on top of that backup routine so that when the drive does go he is covered.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. mphilip876

mphilip876 New Member

Hey congratulates dude....
    I told you that there would be some hardware problem and I was right..
    And don't worry. It will go long if you keeps on maintaining it..