Acer aspire laptop black screen problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dude182, Aug 6, 2010.

1. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

My acer aspire 1642 wlmi (2005) will load up when you turn it on but with no power to the screen. I have read that this is sometimes due to a low power function built in to the laptop. It seems to be intermittent sometimes it will start up as normal. I have tried it on the battery and on the mains adaptor together and seperately. The adaptor is giving out 19volts as it should be.
    Any ideas?

2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Ermmmm, does it have an external screen port at the back? You could try it on an external monitor to see if its a screen fault. You might need to tap FN and another key to activate the external screen.

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Yep. Funny that few days ago I was going through our AV equipment and was writing instructions on how to operate laptop + projector combo (presenter view in powerpoint, rear/front display, etc.) and I was wondering why the key isn't the same for different laptops. I even had 2 Acer laptops where on one it was Fn + F3 while on the other Fn + F5.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

yeah tried the external monitor option but still no luck.

5. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Can you disable power saving options in the Bios?

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  6. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

thats sounds like a good plan will try it if i can get the screen up.

7. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

I have tried the Bios options but there is not one to disable power saving options. Any ideas?

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It could be that the screen is actually faulty and needs replacing, they're about £65-£68 provided you're happy to replace it yourself (see here from an example, I'm not recommending them as I've never used them and I'm not saying that it is the faulty, but it is a possibility).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security