Abuse of social networking sites

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I wasn't sure whether to bump a different thread, but I felt like starting my own to say a royally large :what? to this

Now, I do use Facebook; I stopped using MySpace and made the account private after an 'incident'. You hear people using accounts to groom children, etc, but what do people think on the shameless advertising?

The applications on Facebook are becoming beyond a joke, and the advertising they use is also becoming annoying. What was a fun and pleasant way to find and contact old friends has become... an annoyance.

But the idea of people trying to cash in on a free resource is mildly abhorrent.

Do you think this kind of auction should even be allowed? Do you think they are being serious? Do you think eBay should monitor these and prevent them - before people harvest friend requests for cash :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You get what you pay for with sites like Facebook... and in this case, less than what you pay for.

Moral of the story is... don't put yourself in a situation where you could be taken advantage of on the Internet.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would be surprised if somebody buys it to be honest. I’m personally not bothered by that kind of ‘sale’ on eBay, plenty of other dodgy stuff going on for them to worry about. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I can see both sides tbh, someone shouldn't be selling space on free social networking site to make money but then again some looser is happy to buy the account then good luck to them.

I am not a member of any social network site, I just don't see the point, we had a guy who recently left us at work and he had a myspace account he use the manager PC one day to check it and now my manager get stupid friend requests like 'hi sammi wants to be your friend' and my manager also gets adverts for stuff sent to him through the myspace thing. Thats what should be stopped crappy spam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

My facebook profile is locked down tight. It's been very useful for me for finding old school friends though. It also has a great 'marketplace' feature for classifieds. Very useful on this island I'll say!

I do hate all those useless applications though and get tired of constantly clicking 'ignore' and 'block app' on 8 million plus useless apps!

In summary, I like facebook because it's provided me with a link to my past and has a very useful classified section, but aside from that I find little further interest in it.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I use Facebook - let's me stay in touch with friends and family around the globe. As for the ads and apps, I just ignore them. They don't bother me since I don't pay for the service. I just see the ads as a income for a free site.

Saying that, my account it pretty much locked down, and I don't use My Space or many of the other Social Networking sites.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Email is good for that also, no adverts either! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

True...
    But with email I have to go out of my way and tell everybody individually what I'm feeling or about the latest event I've been to etc... I'm not much of a social person, let alone calling ppl in another country to tell them I went to an Basketball/Futball game. If they see it online they can ask questions, and snoop around (becaue I've already permitted them).

For example, today I posted I hate being buried in snow. My cuz in San Jose has already made fun of me, and in Chicago I get sympathy. No point of me emailing each of them for that :blink