Abraham Lives!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Sep 15, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's my new lab machine. A Dell Dimension 8300, Intel Pentium 4 CPU at 2.6 Ghz, 256 MB DDR RAM at 400 MHZ (with plans to upgrade to 1 GB), 200 GB ATA 100 HDD running Windows XP Pro. Once I purchase and load VMWare Workstation 4.0, I can load a number of virtual servers and workstations and my "lab-in-a-box" will be complete. Right now, I'm just having fun. 8)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

:bla (goes on a teenage strop and slams bedroom door) its just not fair. I want one... :(

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

why Abraham Trip?

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Why Abraham?

I bought two machines...one for the family and one for the lab. I realized that, when I set them up, they were going to ask for names. I know it's silly, but I've always taken naming things kind of seriously. I'd originally planned to ask the family what name they wanted for the general use machine, but we live such hectic lives, it was hard to pin everyone down at once.

When the time came, and I was setting up the family machine, the name "Tevye" (from "Fiddler on the Roof") just popped into my head. At almost the same time, I thought of the ultimate patriarch of the Jewish people...Abraham...you know...from the Bible. For reasons I can't articulate, the names seemed to fit so there they are.

When I actually create the virtual lab machines, I'll need to name them all and I'll probably either be more technical (y'know: "lab-1, lab-2, lab-3" or more playful: "bud", "lou", "stan", "ollie") but I have time before then.

Why Abraham? I wanted a strong name for the lab machine and Abraham was a pretty strong person (admittedly, with human flaws, which makes him all the more attractive as a hero figure).

Certifications: A+ and Network+