About to venture into A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by gray19lfc, Feb 7, 2010.

1. gray19lfc

gray19lfc Banned

Right decided I'm going to self-study the A+, using the Professer Messer videos and Boson/ProProfs practise exams and also the Mike Meyers "CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition" book (think that's the right one?).

Is there anything else can recommend that will help me?

Having no IT experience other than a high grade pass at GCSE and general tinkering with my own/friends PCs and laptops, is this the best certificate for me to aim for to make a start in a career in IT?

2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Its a good starting point, have you heard about the new rules of the a+? Also I always tend to get two study materials just incase theres something in one that isn't in another as after all your not just studying to pass the exam your studying to learn. It takes a lot of dedication and work so you need to be focused that you want to start your career in I.T. Hope it all goes well for you mate :D

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  3. gray19lfc

gray19lfc Banned

You mean the recertifying rules? That comes into place in the UK as of Jan 1 2011 I understand?

4. beaumontdvd

Yeah, I might start to study the A+ as from what I've been told its a good entry level cert. Also if you certify before that you will have a lifetime qualification form what I have read. Get many study materials and take practice questions before the exam. I can't really help much as I havent taken it yet. But hope it goes well.

Dave,

5. gray19lfc

gray19lfc Banned

Thanks.

Hoping to have it passed before the year is out.

Is the Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide Sixth Edition the book people recommend the most? Seems to be a lot on Amazon with similar names.

6. beaumontdvd

I have the Comptia sybex a+ study guide but that was what my mate used and he gave me the book. II guess thats the equivilant of the Ms pres for the microsoft exams? Correct me if I'm wrong people. But yes a lot of people talk about the Mike Meyers book saying its good ect. I wouldn't just buy one book mate just incase it doesn't cover say a few questions. That could make the difference between a pass or fail.

Dave

7. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Beware!!!

Depends on where are you the current exam expires, usa, canada this month, the rest in august.

For facts:
    Check the comptia.org website.
    Mike Meyers:
    http://www.totalsem.com/
    So if you want to take 220-601, 220-602, etc way you still need the 6th edition
    But the new 7th edition book is out,
    http://www.totalsem.com/products/aplus/ap_7ed.php
    so i would go this way, i think the 220-701 220-702 exams are available already everywhere.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. gray19lfc

gray19lfc Banned

7th edition not released in the UK until 1st March. Is it worth waiting a few weeks and buying that one or would the 6th edition suffice? Only I could do with making a start on my studying ASAP.

9. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I would go for the most recent one.
    You need to study asap anyway, we talk about a big book, a very big book.
    I would start with Professor Messer, online. And when the book arrives jump on it.:)

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you are in the UK I would suggest trying to get the current A+ exams out of the way before they retire in August. That is because the best material for it is already out. Mike Meyers 6th edition.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. gray19lfc

gray19lfc Banned

OK, I'll pre-order the 7th edition.

August? Don't they retire before Jan 1 2011?

12. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Guys.
    I am not sure, and i have no time today.
    But think it is out..
    http://www.totalsem.com/products/aplus/ap_7ed.php

13. gray19lfc

gray19lfc Banned

14. greenbrucelee

no that tis the recertification date.

In the US they have retired the 600 series now but it doesn't retire here until August. if you do not pass your A+ by december 31st then if you pass it after that you will be required to recertify every 3 years if you want to keep it.

15. gray19lfc

gray19lfc Banned

So, in September, for instance, I'd be doing the 700 series exams and have no need to recertify every 3 years?

16. greenbrucelee

no

you can do the 600 series now and be A+ certified for life, even when the exam is retired in august. BUT any compTIA certification you do after december 31st then you have do it again every 3 years.

you can wait until the Mike Meyers book comes out for the 700 series and then study for that (you do not have to wait until the 600 series is retired to take the exams) or you can start studying now for the 600 series and pass it before august.

if you pass the 700 series before december 31st then you will not have to recertify.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  17. gray19lfc

gray19lfc Banned

Yeah, that's what I meant.

There's no chance of me passing before August, I haven't even started studying yet but if the exam is retired in August, does that mean from August, the exams will be the 700 series?

I've pre-ordered the 700 series study book and hoping to pass before the end of the year, so I won't need to recertify every 3 years.

18. greenbrucelee

there are people taking the 700 series now, the exams have been running for quite a while.

It's just that the 600 series is retired in august, if you got your head down and studied you could nail the A+ by August.

You can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com make sure you buy international vouchers for the UK it puts the cost of the exams at £107 each instead of paying £111+vat each you book the exams via www.pearsonvue.com and you can find your nearest test centers on there. You use the voucher codes from gracetech instead of your credit card to pay.

19. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

For the 700 exams aren't we talking about Mike Meyers A+ seventh edition book? If we are I think we can get it on amazon NOW for £19.99.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  20. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

The Meyer's 7th edition is coming out next month. I preordered it once I made up my mind I would get the A+ (last November). So far I've watched all of Messer videos, and bought an A+ cert. Kit with more videos, exams, etc. as well as reading the really comprehensive Scott Mueller's 'Upgrading and building PCs', which I think is great.
    From March I'll dip into the 1300 pages Meyer's, and do some Cram exams. Hopefully all this will not only provide me with a high pass, but also with a deep understanding of all topics covered. :)