About to start the 70-291.....

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by mad_maxx, Nov 7, 2008.

1. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

Just passed the 70-290 with a good score. Looking to begin studying for the 70-291 within the next week.

I have used Sybex up until now, though there were quite a few omissions and some out of date content for the last exam I took.

I have a plan for the 291 which will involve the following ;

• Watch the CBT Nuggets series for this exam
    • Read the Sybex or MS Press book
    • Virtual labs
    • ExamCram book
    • Transcender Tests

When purchasing study materials, do I need to purchase any particular revision of a book (eg one which is based around 2003 Server R2), or hasn't the content changed. Would anyone recommend Sybex or MS Press for this?

It is an expensive way of doing things, but will be worth it if I am able to pass first time :)
    Cheers

MaX

It is an expensive way of doing things, but will be worth it if I am able to pass first time :)

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Looks like you have got all the materials that you need. Anyway, Congrats on 290(what was your score) and swift assimilation on 291.. Good luck!:D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I am going give you and everybody a tip here. Buy the MSpress book which comes with Windows 2003 evaluation 120 days CD and create your own workshop, go on ebay and buy any cheap/2nd hand desktop computer, does not have to be a computer with big hard disk, memory or cpu, no sound card is needed as long it meet the 2003 server hardware requirement and install the evaluation CD. Also it might a good idea your current computer is WinXP Pro or Win Vista Business as you learn to join it to domain or learn all things with the server whether it for the 70-290 or 70-291 exam. So there you have.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with your studies for this exam, it's a beast.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

Thanks very much, I scored 960 in the 70-290 and 940 in the 70-270. Each exam has taken me just over four weeks to study for - combined study time for both the 70-290 and 70-270 was nine weeks for me.

Not sure if I'll be able to do the 291 so quickly. Having a few days off from studying. Looking to start again next Thursday :)

I have VMWare, so will get a bunch of servers installed on different subnets to test out routing etc.... looks like I'll be having some fun :)

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging