About to start ordering

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrNice, Oct 21, 2004.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the advice,
    My customer doesnt have a clue about computers, He only knows what the salesman in PCworld etc tell him. He has his mind set on the P4 3.2HT or above and wants 1Gb RAM and a 17" TFT, thats it. The rest is trusted to me, I have a max budget of £1000 and will not make a penny on it.
    I am following Phoenixs advice on the motherboard and my spec is:

Asus P4S800D-E deluxe skt 478 with SATA
    P4 3.2 (Prescott) 1MB cache with fan
    256MB ATI RADEON 9250SE DDR TV-OUT MEDIA MAX
    200GB MAXTOR CALYPSO 8MB 7200RPM SATA HDD
    512MB PC3200 400DDR DIMM X 2
    SONY 52X32X52 CD-RW
    SONY DWD22A 16X DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER
    XP HOME EDITION & WORKS

Can anyone see anyone obvious mismatch etc, any advice on more suitable components and some advice on the PSU and cooling would be most appreciated.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Only thing I notice - do you really need a CD-RW drive when you are already putting a DVD-R in there. Doesn't the latter do the work of the former ?

Or maybe I'm being dumb again...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

good job for you guys then, I read on the description it played CD-ROM and CD-RW but nothing about being able to record them, hope so, will knock about £20 off price if your right :D

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'd be well surprised if the DVD-r didn't do all the CD-RW does, but you'd be wise just to make sure anyway - worth it if you can stick £20 in yer pocket 8)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

DVDRWs do generally burn CDs
    but its nice to have two devices
    for CD-Cloning and reading/writing at the same time

have you tried LiteOn, they are usually alot cheaper than sonys, and most major players are just rebranded anyway (sonys used to be re branded hitachis, nto sure what they are using at the mo)

and you can get Region Protection remover for LiteOn drives :)

Also make sure you are getting a 1st generation Prescott thats socket 478, the new ones are socket 775 or something

what LCD are you getting?
    i would recommend the BenQ 17" that does 1280x1024@16ms
    but it doesnt have DVI out, very cheap though (under 200)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

IMHO its best to have two of othem especially if copying from one disc to another...but yes DVD writers do also CD-Rs and CD-RWs...I plan on gettin a DVD writer probably in time for Xmas...so its up to you MrNice...if you ask me I would do what the customer wants that way everyone is happy...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

I would suggest getting a better graphics card.

I presume the 9250se is a slightly upgraded 9200 and as such it won't offer anywhere near the performance of the rest of the system.

An ATI 9800 card can be bought for a reasonable price and even if you could only afford a 128MB version it would still be a much better card than the one you are suggesting. If needed cut back slightly in other areas such as hard drive size and skip the CDRW. If you are really on the limit then drop the speed of the processor down a notch, you'll still end up with a much better balanced system.

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  8. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I thought that myself but the customer will never be interested in games or stuff that needs a good graphics card, It's basically a websurfer he wants to watch movies and edit pictures on.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i agree, no way you need a 9800 if your not playing games

i only have a 9600XT and i can play BF at 1600x1200 :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0