About to dabble with Vista but....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lord Deckard, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Hey all, long time no posting!

Been given an unused OEM Vista home premium disc and I've got a few questions before I start messing around.

I'm running XP pro which I've now discovered can't be upgraded from with Vista home. I've got a spare drive I cloned my existing drive onto in preparation but that's kinda gone out of the window :dry I then decided to use the vista easy transfer only to discover that it only appears to copy files and settings so I'd be messing around setting up *lots* of my programs again (itunes springs to mind)...
    Is there *any* way to force Vista home to do an upgrade install over XP pro? Or is it possible to downgrade XP pro to XP home and then do the install over that? I'm really not in the mood for biting the bullet and getting a copy of Vista Ultimate as thats a lot of cash just for the ease of doing an upgrade install LOL!!

Anyone give me some advice before I drop this disc back in a drawer and forget about it until the next service pack is released :tune

Cheers in advance!

Lord D.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Run this mate...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...83-c24f-4863-a389-3ffc194924f8&DisplayLang=en

Might highlight a few problems before you upgrade (if you change the version of Vista that is)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The answer to both your questions is "No", see here. You could the get OEM version of Ultimate for just over £100, from Ebuyer. And to tell the truth I wouldn't do an upgrade for XP to Vista, I've already tried upgrading several times, and either though there were several warnings (not errors) when running the upgrade advisor on XP, the installation failed on the HDD (and that wasn't even flagged as a warning with the upgrade advisor, in fact it passed).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sparky

I upgraded my lappy to Vista from XP Pro. If you must run the upgrade I would wipe the lappy and install XP from scratch, update drivers etc. and then run the Vista upgrade.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Well, I went ahead and did a clean install and used the Vista easy transfer to get all my stuff across. No disasters or heartache with the installation and all my programs appear to be running fine.
    I may be over generalising here, but after I've turned off all the bells and whistles to speed things up, I appear to have an OS that looks like XP but doesn't run as fast (seti@home is taking slightly longer to process units & 3DMark 06 has dropped over a 1000 points). Ok, 3DMark could be driver related but I'm still feeling slightly underwhelmed by the vista experience LOL!
    Got an overall windows rating of 5.6 (my 3.0Ghz wolfdale core2duo dragged it down :rolleyes:), would the 64 bit version of vista make any kind of marked improvement to performance?

Lord D.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

good luck :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Gareth.Harle

Gareth.Harle Bit Poster

I think you might see a slight increase in performance but to be honest I’m really not sure the 64-bit versions are worth installing on a main system. You might find that driver and program compatibility issues are more of a pain than its worth.

Certifications: MCSA, MCT, MCITP:EST
    WIP: Not sure yet
  8. Crito

Crito Banned

SP1 dramatically improved performance on my Vista box, and I was already running Ultimate 64-bit. Windows Update didn't offer it to me until I updated several drivers though.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  9. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

Would anyone really want to do an upgrade install honestly? I would think its muc better to just install a new copy rather than install over anything..much lesser clutter on the system

10. Sparky

An upgrade is cheaper though. 8)

11. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

Hehh..yeah..the do-all end-all of most discussions :) . But most updates just add a lot of additional files to clog the system..just my experience with upgrades has been bad..

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can buy an upgrade version and still do a clean install.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Sparky

True :biggrin