ABC - Storage Use

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by flex22, Jun 8, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

A - Assign Disk Quotas.Applied to volumes, not physical disks.

B - Basic Storage.Basic disks are the default in Windows 2000 Server.

C - Convert from FAT to NTFS.In command prompt, type:
    CONVERT <driveletter> /FS:NTFS

D - Dynamic Storage.Only used by Windows 2000, 2003 (correct me if I'm wrong) (in fact tell me of any corrections needed anywhere, of course)

E - Extended Partition.Can be divided into logical drives.Uses the letters of the alphabet.Cannot host the operating system.

F - Fault-tolerant volumes.Mirrored and RAID5 are the two types.

G - GUI for disk management.
    Can be found by:
    Right-clicking 'My Computer' Manage, or
    Start, Programs, Admin Tools, Computer Management

then expand storage, and click on disk management.

That's it so far.Got stuck at H, so decided to post this ABC for input off others.I'll keep working on it of course.
    Please put down your own suggestions for and all letters that you wish to.

Edit: Doh, just thought of H - Hard disk, which hold the physical data in segments (will think of better explanation)

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

F is for Fiber Channel, the primary transport protocol for Storage Area networks, Fiber channel, despite its name, is available in copper and fibre deployments

I is for iSCSI, a protocol developed to allow iSCSI devides to be attached over a standard IP network, allowing easier deployments of low end SANs over FC Sans, iSCSI is finally beginning to take off, and with the advent of 10Gb ethernet may temporarily surpass FC sans performance wise

N for NAS or Network Attached Storage, network mounted volumes easily accessable and deployable for quick boost to storage space

S for SAN or Storage Area Network, dedicated network used exclusivly by storage media, raw block level storage access to servers and connected devices, high speed redundant storage set up, very costly

S for SCSI, legacy transport method used in servers and high end workstations, provides increased speed and reliability over IDE devices, current generations are Ultra 320 SCSI (68pin LVD)

S for SAS or Serial Attached SCSI, replaced to the legacy parallel SCSI standard, devices will have dedicated bus access and offer high speed and greater performance than current top of the line SCSI, and even push the limits of Fiber Channel SAN deployments

S for SATA or Serial ATA, the replacement to Parallel ATA disks, offering higher throughput and increased bandwidth, further generations of SATA will offer 300mpbs, and 600mbps with hot swap power and data connections

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

R is for RAID, redundant array of inexpensive disks, a method of connecting multiple disk drives to a single controller card to achieve faster data throughput, data storage redundancy for fault tolerance, or both.

sorry, all I've got time for at the mo.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Surprised we haven't mentioned...

P - Plug & Play (or Plug & Pray). Removes the need for manual configuration of IRQ's, etc. Automatically allocates available resources to PnP devices on boot.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

nah - P needs to be "PAPERWEIGHT" - for those archaic storage devices from YEARSSSSSSSSSSS ago!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

D is for Disk Management, the mmc used to manage Disks, Partitions and Volumes in a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 system

I is for IDE, Integrated Drive Electronics. A type of hard disk drive also known as ATA

M is for MBR, Master Boot Record. When a hard drive is partitioned, the Master Boot Record is written to the first sector on the hard drive. It contains the Partition Table and other information needed by the BIOS to access the hard drive.

P is for Platter, the actual disk inside a hard disk enclosure that carries the magnetic recording material. Many hard disks have multiple platters, most of which have two sides that can be used for recording data.

P is for Partition, A contiguous section of a disk drive that is treated by the operating system as a physical drive. Thus, one disk drive can have several drive letters assigned to it.

V is for Volume, A storage device or a portion of that device that is formatted to contain folders and files of a particular file system. A hard disk, for example, may be divided into several volumes

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade