ABC- recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by flex22, May 22, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

The following challenge, should you wish to take it blah blah....

Simple, come up with a list concerning recovery options, or anything about rcovering a Windows 2000 Pro system.

So say for example if you were doing fruit, it would be:

A - for Apple
    B - for Banana

So you get the idea.

Be as creative as you like.Try to come up with a whole list, A-Z if possible.

I'll check in the morning to see all the massess of responses :D

I'll post more ABC questions, just need to think of the areas I want to cover at the moment.

While these lists may seem pretty pointless, they're far from it.

This message won't self-destruct, but it will explode with much enthusiasm and reponses :P

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Let's see if I'm on the right track here .... :hhhmmm

A - Application Is there a specific application or program that consistently causes a system to crash or require recovery ? If so, check compatibility and availability of any patches/updates.

B - Backup Be damn sure your backups are up to date and in a safe place (preferably offsite). This will minimise the amount of work required to restore a system to a previously working condition in the event of complete system loss.

C - Caution or Clues Don't jump to immediate conclusions about finding out what caused the system crash. Look at all possible causes (especially an ID10T error - End User), Find any clues about possible causes, eg beep codes, noises from inside machine (or not), lights, error messages, etc.

Just a start, and sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree ..... I'm at work till 9 tonight, so I reckon I'll get to at least W :cry:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

These are the type of things that you can do when you have a spare minute here or there.For example when your at work, and are bored as it's not busy.

I've started doing this at work when there's quiet moments.

Pick a subject you're studying, or anything for that matter, and start an ABC list.

Thanks for the first responses Gav.Also I should mention that if somebody has their own one for letter A, still post it even though Gav has already done one for 'A.'

My one for L is 'LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION'

which is a recovery option which reverts back to the configuration the last time Windows started correctly.This is done if the system won't start after installing a new driver, for example.

Will post more later, but just going to watch the footie now.
    :morebeer

Mod Edit: Deleted duplicate post

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

S - Safe Mode Always use this if a recently added driver or hardware conflict is suspected as being at the root of the failure.

Absolutely - no one said this was "challenge Gav" time here (not difficult, I grant you.)

I like this idea, Flex - lets see if we can get the full alphabet :thumbleft

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Iread that Safe mode was used to start the computer with only the drivers and services needed to boot the computer up.

Therefore would we use this if a recently installed driver was faulty.

A question ahs arisen from this ABC list.What is the difference between LKGC and Safe mode.I mean some example of when one would be used after the other.

If we had just installed a device, rebooted the comp,a nd the comp wouldn't start, then I'd say use LKGC.
    Why use Safe mode which disables all of your devices when you suspect that it's only one device that's causing the problem.

So I'm not surewhat Safe mode actually is.Anyone :?:

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

LKGC loads the LKG registry copy, Flex. This can be invaluable in times where the Registry has been corrupted by whatever means.

In Safe Mode, if you know a machine was working right up until you installed a new piace of hardware, then you can load up and uninstall it again.

For example, you install the latest whizz-bang gfx card. Pop - your machine won't boot or work properly, then choosing Safe Mode automatically loads bare minimum drivers for only what is necessary. So it loads a simple VGA driver for video, up she comes enough to see what you are doing, and yank the bad driver back off again.

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Good explanation Gav, thanks.

Problem I'm finding is that in the mastering windows 2000 server book it gives pretty much your example, just uses a different device, to describe when using LKGC.

I need this to be cystal clear, sot hat when I come up against one of MS amazingly weird questions, I'll stand a chance.

So I'm still confused.

I'm sure it'll register with me soon enough, just not quite their yet.

Edit: Thought about this more, and the thing that's confusing me is:

If LKGC reverts back to the original config, which includes the drivers.Then if you have a faulty driver for a graphics card, won't reverting back to the LKGC which includes the previous drivers solve this.

I think with a bit more thought I'll have resolved this.I'll read up today see if I get can this in to me thick head lol.

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This is true flex if you have had a reboot in between.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685