aaaaaannnnndddd.......

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by zebulebu, Jan 5, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

...there go the ashes.

I can't ever remember being as disappointed with a sporting event as I have with this ashes series. I was looking forward to it so much as well.

That Australian side is utterly, utterly ridiculous. they have to be hands down the best team in the history of sport - I can think of lots of great teams, in many sports (Liverpool of the 80s, Man Utd on the 90s in football, late 70s Steelers, 80s-90s 49ers in US Football, 80s Oilers, early 90s Pens in hockey) but I can;'t think of a team that is as all-round dominant as the Aussie cricket team of the last ten years.

hats off to them - and christ alone knows how England managed to beat 'em a couple of years ago!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

aaannnddd a whitewash 5 nil - heheheheheheh :biggrin :biggrin

AUSSIEEE

OOYYEE!

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE

OYE, OYE, OYE

yes they are the greatest in the history of the game in my view.

Seriously now that a few have retired it may make the game more interesting as a sport should be a contest not a whitewash.

How England won in England earlier...must have been that warm beer and warney's texting :biggrin :oops:

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You must be talking of the Edmonton variety, and not the Houston variety. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

We hired WAG-a-likes to distract Shane.

And then, well... with a combination of luck, greasing bats, covering hands in blu-tac for actually holding on to the catches, and fielding extra (unnoticable) players... well actually, based on the performance this year, it was purely luck. We deserved to get whitewashed, with the pathetic way the team has presented themselves. Looks like we're back to the 'roll over and die' attitude that allowed us to be invaded over many consecutive centuries in the middle ages :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

England where rubbish. Can't bat, can't bowl and can't catch. If the top order batsmen get themselves out so cheaply you can't expect the middle and tail order to make up the difference. It's about time the people in charge of cricket got their heads out of their collective backsides, got rid of the "old boys" network and started managing the National team in a professional manner.

-AJ moves off the soap box and waits for a good slapping from people who know better. Anyway that's just my opinion

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

All I have to say on the matter is.......damn we're good!:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have to say, Nugg, you crack me up sometimes.

An Aussie living in Switzerland with a German sig. Respec 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

First 5-0 whitewash since 1920-1921.... its WAS an impressive team... but i think this is the end... think about how long the majority of this team has been together? World Cup 1999 in England... 3 VERY BIG players have gone now and i think 2 more will follow soon Gillcrest and Pointing.. so maybe some other country will now take over..

As for England... Poor Duncan Fletcher...when he took over cricket they were so low in both Tests and one-days it was sad so i hope they stick by with him.

oh and zeb you forgetting another major team... chicago bulls... they were a TEAM!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No - the Chicago Bulls of the 90s were, basically, the best athlete in the history of sports, Scottie Pippen and some other guys. No-one individual dominated a sport more then Jordan did in the late 80s to mid 90s. Tiger had a go for a good while - but was only absolutely dominant for about three years. I don't consider darts a 'sport', otherwise Phil Taylor would be the closest to him. Jordan was almost superhuman.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i was talking about the team of the 90's i mean the day the team dissolved and the coach retired the bulls arent even known....

11. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Tiger's not the most dominant athlete in sports? Jordan was the greatest basketball player at his time, but that's about it. Have you seen him on the links? Ugh. Oh, and I saw him play baseball, and that was *pure* embarrassment! As for dominating a sport, Tiger's stats are amazing. Remember, Tiger doesn't have a Pippen to contribute, much less the quality of the bench he had during a few of his championships.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  12. BosonMichael

No... golfers aren't athletes. They're skilled at what they do, certainly... but athlete? No.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

huh? Where you coming with that? Ever played golf? you try playing 72 holes over 4 days....

14. BosonMichael

Yep, I've played it. Swing a club at a ball and ride around in a golf cart. Doesn't make me sore or tired, that's for sure. :D

15. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Ok, ignore most golfers physique -- the new age of golfers spend a lot of time training in the gym. Besides, what determines an athlete? Running and jumping? How much they can lift? Or how good they are in their field? Look at Tiger again, from any of those...

Oh, and if you think riding around in a golfcart is really what Tiger's about, you have *no* earthly clue about him or pro golf. He's the first there, and the last to leave, and given that the average course is 7000+ yards, you can do the math on playing several rounds a day, hours at the range, and workouts in the gym. I watched Jordan a lot, and he didn't work half as hard.

Golf's not a sport? No, sorry, poker is not a sport. Even so, why is it on ESPN instead of a real game? :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  16. BosonMichael

Sure, golf's a sport. But the competitors are far from athletes. And a golfer doesn't have to be a good athlete or in good shape to be an excellent golfer.

I'm excellent in my field. Am I an athlete? Of course not.

I didn't say Tiger just rode around in a golf cart. I didn't question his effort or skill. You asked me if I had played golf. I said yes, and golf's not a very athletic activity. I ride around in a golf cart and hit balls with a club. Makes no difference how strong I am or what shape I'm in - meaning, how athletic I am. It's all accuracy. It has much more in common with something like darts or bowling (also not sports, IMO) than with football.

Tiger puts forth a great deal of effort. I'm sure he trains hard. He's in shape, especially compared to the rest of his field. But he's not a football player, basketball player, hockey player, rugby player, marathon runner, sprinter, boxer, etc.

From Dictionary.com
    ath lete [ath-leet] -noun
    a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Sorry, guys, I'll have to just disagree with you. I just don't see the physicality of golf. Not Tiger's training, not Tiger's long hours, but the sport of golf itself.

EDIT: ESPN runs poker because ESPN is the ENTERTAINMENT and Sports Programming Network. That falls squarely in Entertainment.

17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I guess that it's my turn to take a few potshots.:oops:

So training your body, muscles and reflexes to react to changing conditions in the swing, angle and control of the club, not to mention the perfecting of hand, eye, arm, (and basically full body) control is not physical?

That's like saying Michael Schumacher just drives a car.

So what's your handicap? When you see these guys with a score in the low 60's it's for a full 18 holes. Don't forget that the par for a course is generally set for a reasonably good player, not a professional. All the courses I've played on were around par 100.

It's funny but when you talk about football I know you mean American style. All that comes to mind is that to succeed there is to be big enough to pound your opponent into the ground before he does it to you.:oops: Where is the skill in that? Of course I also realise that there is a quaterback that not only requires strength and physical agility to throw a ball, but also accuracy.

Also if you look at it that way, in basketball a guard just runs up and down the field all the time pushing people out of the way.

It's not only your comments BBM. Others have also included the other team members (as athletes) in the same sentence with such names as Scotty Pippen and Michael Jordan, and then promptly dismissed them only Pippen and Jordan had the skill to be an athlete/sportsman.

According to the definition you gave about sport, if a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill, is what it takes to be an athlete in a physical activity, then golf is a sport and Tiger is an athlete.

As a side note, poker is shown here on Eurosport too.:x It's a game more to do with luck if you ask me.

Unfortunately IT is a sport more to do with intelligence than any real physical skill (like chess) but I'm sure that if it were to be classified as a sport then you'd do well at the hard disk toss or the 50 yard server dash.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

oh btw talking of great sportsman... schumacher??? where does he fit in?? he is the GREATEST!!

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Almost as good as Damon Hill.... :biggrin

Schumacher is a legend, I know he did a few dirty tricks when he was in F1 but he is the greatest F1 driver ever. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The name rings a bell, but .................:hhhmmm

Ah, but see, my point exactly. He just drove a car.