A+ ??

Discussion in 'A+' started by Ravneet, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Ravneet

Ravneet New Member

19/female/california - -Hello everyone... this is my first time posting here and i hope you all can help me. Im just curious... what kind of job am i most likely to get as i will have no experience?.. im planning on going to college as well but im not sure what major would most likely corresponde with this certificate? should i just stick to certificates or go to college as well? i know that may sound like a stupid question and college is probably good for me anyway but i dont want to waste 4 years if thats not going to help me out with my career.

tHanks...

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF Ravneet!

As I don't know that much about the US college system I can't really say which course will go hand in hand with the A+ cert, but it is definately worth you doing them both. My past experience has shown me that you are thought of as better qualified if you have a degree than just a cert, and if you have them both then thats even better!

What sort of job can you expect? Well, to be honest, thats a difficult one to answer.

Normally I'd say that you would be looking at entry level / helpdesk positions, but it depends on where your interests lie. If you do the degree then you may find that it helps to open up different doors than just having the certs would. Your college may offer placemenets with companies in which you do project based work, which may be a potential place to start.

8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to CF :thumbleft

Good luck with the job hunting, the trick is to keep at it :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Ravneet. When I was brand new to all this, my A+ got me various contract jobs. I put my resume on places like Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, and Dice.com. Pretty soon, recruiters from the East Coast (mainly) were calling me to see if I could do various jobs from one day, to weekend work, to periodic installs and rollouts. It's not steady but it does build your experience and gives you material to add to your resume, thus making you more attractive to full-time employers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Ravneet,

Jobs that you may get with the A+ cert and no experience (these include, but not limited to): Trainee IT Technician or Call Service Centre (eg. telephone helpdesk).

Normally the Major of the Degree that would corresponde to the A+ would be something along the lines of general Computing (Computer Science), Systems Admin or Networking. But this does depend on the Uni/College that you apply with. Comptia do say that the A+ may contribute to your degree, but again this is down to your Uni/College, as not all accept prior professional certs.

If you do not want to study for 4 years for your college degree (BSc/BA), since you are in the U.S., have you considered either the AA or a technicial degree (I believe in the U.S. it's shorter than a normal college degree - I may be wrong!), anyway it's just a thought.

As for whether to take your degree or not, in my opinion "Go for it". The degree will only help you if, or when, you decide to climb the ladder - and the good thing is that the degree is for life, more and more of the professional certs have a "shelf" life of either 3 years or the life of the product (thank goodness comptia isn't like that, exams prices always make a dent in my small pocket :D ).

Hope my opinions help. Good luck for the future.

-Ken :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security